39: Try harder

The melodious music playing in the background made me pause. I looked around in one head turn and paused. Whether I believe it or not, I made it to the club!

    "Let's go inside," Luciano said distracting me from my small glimpse.

     As we stepped inside, the cooing breeze of the club blew strands of my hair behind.

     The inside was well decorated with a wooden sculpture and the tiles made the strobe light reflect.

      "This is beautiful!" I said with my voice a little louder.

      I was trying to talk audibly because of the noise from the background.

     "Hey pretty!" A lady said and walked past me.

    Her dress was revealing, sexy and oh my god.

I turned behind me to look at her again but Luciano called me.

"Tiff listen to me!" He said.

"What?" I asked. "I think I'm enjoying this place."

     "Of course you are. Now listen, don't go far. I don't want to spend my night searching for you and I don't want you to drink at all or from anyone."

"But—"

"That's the condition."

"Right," I blurted. Luciano told me the only way we could stay was if I maintained composure.

Unfortunately, composure included not drinking and going far.

     "Agreed?"

    "I said yes," I told him. "Now I've gotta go." As I turned my eyes caught Gladys dancing in the dancing floor. "Oh my God!!" I yelled and raised my hands to the air.

     I walked to the floor and hugged Gladys while she was dancing and shaking her hair.

     I felt the excitement in my body and for a moment, I couldn't believe it.

     It was so much happiness in one night and I haven't felt this way in a long while.

     I felt the urge to turn and look at Luciano's face. Something told me he was smiling at the way I was happy.

    I fought against it. I didn't want to be wrong and jam eyes with an annoyed Luciano.

"This is great!" Gladys yelled and I gave a nod.

"Common, dance Tiff. It's so exciting to be here."

I gave another nod but I really couldn't bring myself to dance like her.

She was so excited and you could see it from her face and the way she moved her body.

"I know what can help!" Gladys said with a smirk.

     She turned behind her to the barman and waved to him. "Hey there! I'll like distilled whiskey and a shot of tequila. My friend here needs some ginger."

"No I don't," I said in a whisper. "I don't want to drink, Gladys."

"Or he asked you not to? Common, you can stop being Luciano's pet already."

   Yeah! I am not his pet but I will let this slide.

I swallowed back and shook my head. "This is not about him."

Although it was, I couldn't bring myself to admit it. I feared that Luciano would find out if I drank.

"Then prove it," Gladys blurted and dropped the shot on the slab.