87: Just go

The day was bright and I could tell it was morning already. I had such a good night and I couldn't deny it.

I turned to see Tiffany and for a moment, I felt an intense peace. It felt so real and I just smiled thinking of everything that was happening.

   She was with me, finally.
We don't need to talk about what had all happened in the past as I was ready to forget it all for the sake of our love.

It felt good to see that things were back to normal or so I thought— it just filled me with so much serenity to see Tiffany laying beside me.

I leaned closer to her and pecked her but she didn't move. She remained on the bed without turning to acknowledge me or my kiss on her cheek.

   "Good morning, Amore" I whispered.

She ignored me and I just brushed it off. I stood up from the bed and grabbed a T-shirt from the bed. I wore it over my head and stretched before standing up from the bed.

I looked at Tiff once more but she still wasn't moved by my presence. She remained where she was with the same cold expression.

I walked away calmly cause I had a few things that I needed to do. Some jobs had to be taken care of and I also needed to speak with Zino; my annoying father.

He said he had something to tell me and although there had never been any form of anticipation talking to him, I found myself wondering what it was.

I tried to brush it off too but I couldn't. I kept thinking of the possible things that could've happened to make him want to speak with me.

I reached the slab and reached for a glass of water. My throat felt so dry and it itched for liquid.

It was actually itching for distilled whiskey but I didn't want to have a drink yet. It was too early for that, not when I had a lot of things to do.

I raised the glass of water to my lips and gulped it gently, allowing the content of the glass to fill my throat and hydrate me.

When I finished the water, I dropped the glass back on the slab and walked away from there.

I paced back and forth wondering If I should call him or wait for him to call. It took a moment to finally decide and just than .y phone vibrated on the slab.

I reached for the phone immediately and the caller ID revealed that it was him, my father.

I raised the phone to my ear and his hoarse voice welcomed me by calling my name.

"Yeah—" I responded. "I was waiting for your call."

"Of course you were," he said and paused. "I need to speak with you about Massimo. How have you dealt with it?"

It? Massimo is a human!

My heart skipped for a moment at the mention of Massimo's name. I wasn't exactly expecting anything in particular but this question was aimed at throwing me off balance.

I cleared my throat firstly and then swallowed the lump forming in my throat. "Massimo knows his place, father."

"And you think so?" He asked, obviously not convinced by my response.

"I know so."

"Listen to me Luciano, I didn't raise you for you to be a weakling and a fucking dependent. I have been doing everything for you since were born. Man up for once and take charge of—"

"Stop it father. I am not a kid."

"Then stop acting like a kid."

I swallowed the lump on my throat and tried to hold it back but I couldn't. It was finally time to tell my Father what I think about this crazy thing he's got going on.

"Luciano," he called again. "You know what to do, or do I have to remind you?"

"I do not want anything bad to happen to Massimo," I responded. "I just want to be at peace." I paused to allow that sink before sighing. "You don't want that and I know why. You're only a selfish man who doesn't think about anyone else but himself. You don't mind putting people through hell as long as you can gain from it."

"Do not talk to me like that again!"

"Then do the fucking right thing," I blurted.

"I wish your mother was alive to see—"

"You killed her for your damn power!" I yelled. "You're just a selfish, greedy bastard. You don't get to wish mom was here cause she'd be disappointed at how you have turned. I have been feeling neglected but you don't have the slightest idea, do you?"

"Luciano."

Zino didn't sound like he liked it and I was happy. I was happy to let that rage out and give him the piece of my mind after all this years of holding back.

"No, let me finish" I snapped at him " I have been of anti-depressant for a long time now and I keep drowning in my anxiety but none of these matters."

He sighed, totally defeated and that was the first time I heard him like that.
"You just know that I'll never hurt a woman I love. This was all your mother wanted, Luciano. She wanted to give me a child and make our family complete and happy."

"No. It's you she wanted to make happy because you manipulated her. That's what you do, manipulate people to do what you want."

"Doesn't change the fact that it was what she wanted," he said firmly. "The doctor told me your pregnancy was risky but she wanted to have you. She so loved you and wanted to have you and I let her. I should have forced her to abort you, at least then, I wouldn't have anything to do with you."

His voice was now cold and it pierced through me as he said those words. I tried to find the best words to respond with but I couldn't think of anything.

"I wish I got rid of you when your mother was suffering for postpartum depression. My wife died because of you and I expect you to give me your all as a son!!"

I swallowed hard and ended the call. The tears welling in my eyes flowed freely and I couldn't stop it. My hands shook as I ended the call and I couldn't believe I had really being a piece of shit all through my life.

"Luciano."

I turned to the voice and it was Tiffany.

"Just go," I told her and tried to turn away but she held my hands and dragged me closer.

"I'm not leaving you Luciano, not like this."

She hugged me and I just stood there with tears. I know she would leave too, after all, all I have ever done right was cause problem.