103: watch out for Gladys

Next day.

It was 8am when I got home the next morning to an angry Tiffany. I drove in and saw her seated at the doorway. For a moment I was scared she had stayed up all night waiting for me, but getting closer I noticed her sleepy eyes.

"Good morning Tiffany." My greeting was met with rolled eyes and a turned back. She left the doorway with folded hands and trudged grudgingly into the house.

"Why didn't you come back yesterday? That wasn't the plan," she nagged slumping into the arm chair.

I apologized sincerely and pointed a gift bag towards her. Knowing Tiffany well, I was aware she would be angry and make a case about me sleeping out. A gift was the best was to pacify her.

Her eyes dimmed as she took the bag out of my hands and she looked less upset. As soon as she saw the new Chanel bag and shoes, she jumped out the chair and unto me trying to hug me as I expected.

I took a step back and held her hands instead. After all that had happened with Gladys, it felt weird to hug her or even come in close contact with her body closely.

She held my hand tightly, squealing in excitement. "I've wanted this for quite some time you know."

And then it came to mind "What would your mom think about this?" I asked her.

She let go of my hand and her smile tuned down a little, but not completely. "She'll never find out, thank you for this."

"Alright alright, I need to go do something. Get ready for school."

She gripped my hands again sharply pulling me back to face her. The large sitting room seemed to get smaller as I looked at her already teary eyed begging me not to send her to school. She was like a little girl.

"Please Lu, I don't want to go to school yet," she pleaded continuously.

As much as I didn't want to put her through all that, she had to go. " You have to go Tiffany, you can't continue staying indoors. You'll be fine I promise, just trust me."

She looked at me for a second before letting me go and then storming up the stairs in both frustration, sadness and anger.

"Be ready when I am," I called out after her, taking the opposite direction to my room.

****
Thirty minutes to an hour later, I was fully dressed in the usual suit, tie and a pair of neat shiny black shoes, but Tiffany was nowhere to be found. If I guessed right, she was taking her time intentionally.

On a normal day, she would be ready ages before I was and sometimes even ask to be dropped up by the driver.

"Tiffany, tiffany," I knocked on her door.

A scream came from inside. "I just got out of the bathroom, I'm naked." Her words made me feel weird and I recalled Massimo's words from the previous night. I was wrong to touch Tiffany.

"Okay, I'll be waiting downstairs," I informed her before walking away, with the words still on my mind.

Grabbing my briefcase from my room, I went downstairs to grab a strong cup of coffee.

Sitting at the kitchen table, it suddenly struck me that Massimo had changed, even if it was just a bit.  He seemed different or perhaps I was just overthinking it.

I remembered attempting to kill him during the night. For some reason, I felt all these problems would end with him gone. Afterall, he was the main reason Gladys was doing all of this.

But I couldn't. I couldn't bring myself to kill him or hurt him, was I getting soft? Or was it because it was him?

The strong taste of the coffee hit me and I shook my head vigorously. "No it can't be," I convinced myself. Massimo was just a good person who deserves better, a lot better than he was dealing with right now.

Memories of us as children flooded my brain, I recalled playing together with him around the giant mansion we used to live in and how we were best of friends. The nostalgia hit me like a wave of fresh air.

"Too bad he wouldn't have kids of his own."

I didn't realise I was thinking out loud until Tiffany's voice came from behind. "Who?"

"No one. Are you ready, let's go," I grabbed my keys off the table and walked out awkwardly without turning to glance at her until she got into the front seat next to me.

It wasn't long after I drove out of the house that my phone began to ring, it was Massimo. I grunted through gritted teeth, what was happening again?

Tiffany had her head turned the other way, looking out the window.  I declined the call quickly and continued driving, but Massimo kept on calling.

It was beginning to get annoying, couldn't he take a simple hint that I wasn't willing to talk? Ending the call with a little aggression this time, I attracted Tiffany's attention.

She brought her head back in and stared at me. I kept my head faced forward and was silently hoping Massimo wouldn't call anymore.

"Is that your girlfriend?"

"What?" I asked back in shock.

"The person consistently calling. Is she the reason why you're ignoring me?" Tiffany asked again.

"I have no idea what you're talking about and I'm not ignoring you," I replied, my eyes still glued on the road ahead.

"You've been avoiding hugs and other stuff, but it's okay. Just let me know if you have a girlfriend, that's all," she pushed.

I was relieved when her school came into view. "We're here," I announced, ignoring her question.

She grabbed her bag and hot out of the car. She looked scared and nervous at the same time and I squeezed her hand gently.

She pushed my hand away "We'll come back to this Luciano."

"I have no answer to your question Tiffany, all I can tell you is to watch out for Gladys."

"Gladys?" She half screamed, but I had driven out of earshot.

(Really¿??. You aren't gonna vote?😐😑 )