25: The clone?

One moment he is all over me, the other, he is avoiding me!

To say I was dumbfounded is an understatement. How did Luciano who was hell bent on avoiding even a harm free hug kiss me suddenly? Was I missing something?

I sat on the bed with crossed legs and watched his back as he made his way out of the room certain that my step brother had been exchanged for someone else.

"Could this one be his Clone?"

"What sort of conspiracy shit am I even thinking?!"

The door to the room closed shut and I still sat on the bed not knowing if I was supposed to follow him or just stay put. That was when my train of thoughts came to life.

I remembered the tampons he got me and was a bit surprised. I thought he was mad at me, why then did he get me tampons? There was also that uneasy feeling at the back of my mind.

The test strip had confirmed that there was no baby so did the pregnancy test result from the hospital, but there was just this feeling I couldn't seem to shake off.

"I'd better go out before I drown myself in thoughts," I said aloud, before getting off the bed and sauntering out the room.

"Oh you decided to come out of the room finally. Thought you were going to die in there," he joked and I stifled a laugh while wondering why he was acting like everything was fine.

"Of course, I won't stay in there forever," I replied. The air felt stiff for about a minute, no one was talking, it was all stares.

"Come let's play some games," Luciano pointed to the couch where I happily took my sit, I was going to enjoy this while it lasts.

There was a bottle of tequila with two glasses on the table in front of me. Maybe we were going to play a game that required us getting drunk, it was exciting.

I reached out to grab the bottle and pour myself a drink when Luciano's hand immediately clamped over mine and he shifted the bottle away with his other hand.

"Let's play cards," he flashed the pack in my face and took his seat next to me.

Five minutes later, my throat was still dry. I tried to reach for the bottle again, but Luciano stopped me again and it was getting weird. Why couldn't I drink?

"I'm not a child, you know," I informed him with squinted eyes that I hoped was showing my anger.

All he did was smile sheepishly, I couldn't help but wonder what was going on. It wasn't like I haven't had a taste of alcohol before.

"Look, it's a king," he exclaimed playfully as he dropped the card. Waves of nostalgia washed through me and I looked at him.

"I remember," Luciano told me before I could get the words out of my mouth. When we were kids, we would pretend to be kings and queens of different kingdoms, that seemed to be the most important thing to us at that time.

"It always felt good," I said and we both smiled at each other.

"Can I have a drink now?" I pleaded with puppy eyes. He grabbed the bottle and poured out a drink, just when I thought he was about to hand it over, he gulped it all down.

"No, you can't have a drink," he replied, placing the cup down. Tears welled up in my eyes from so much anger. How dare he do that?

"Isn't it past my bedtime or don't I have one?" I asked, checking the time and seeing it was 10pm already.

"Right, we should go to bed. You have school tomorrow," I couldn't have felt more like a baby than I did at this moment.

"Fine." I dropped the cards on the table with as much force as I could causing them to scatter and then I stomped my feet up the stairs with Luciano walking very closely behind me.

This was all so weird. One minute, he was avoiding me and the next he's been so overprotective. What was going on?

I walked into my room and kicked the door shut with my legs but he held it open.

"Go to bed," it sounded more like a threat than a command. I slid under the covers of my duvet hoping it would save from whatever demon had gotten into Lu.

"Switch off the light," I did exactly as he commanded and then he left the room.

I lay awake staring at the ceiling or whatever part of it I could see with the dim light peering into the room through the window. Sleep wasn't on my list right now.

What was so special about that Tequila? If anything, I was going to drink it tonight.

"10:40 pm," my phone read. It was perfect. I heard Lu's door close minutes ago, no doubt he was fast asleep in his bed.

Shifting the covers off my body, I slipped into my pyjamas slipper and walked carefully enough not to make a sound. Thankfully, my door was on my side today, it didn't make a single sound.

The corridor and stairway was dark, I was scared I would trip for a minute. "Should have brought my phone," I mentally face hit myself.

Carefully, I walked to the kitchen and soon enough located the tequila bottle using the mental map I had made in my head.

After some struggle of staying quiet, the lid came off, but that wasn't all. The lights came on.

In my startled state, I almost dropped the bottle, but was quick enough to cover it and place it back on the table.

Luciano stood near the light switch sizing me up with his eyes.

"I came to get some water," I lied.

"Get it then." His voice was calm, but mean. Was he angry?

As silent as I was earlier, I walked to the dispenser, poured out half a glass of water and gulped it down.

"Good. Now go to bed," he ordered.

I went back to my room, looking over my shoulder to check if he was following me. He wasn't, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to come down and risk getting caught again.

The duvet seemed like it had list its protective powers as I lay under it this time. I closed my eyes but couldn't sleep, or so I thought for the next time I opened my eyes, it was morning already.

(Thanks for reading. Please remember to vote)