99: what he says

My lips was curled in a goofy smile as I tapped my keys on the car dashboard. I was really excited I was getting closer to Luciano, at least, after the whole blocking and all, he unblocked me and together we are working for something I told him and he believed.

    'I like it'

      I know something good will come out soon, we were good to go, last night encounter made me know.

My other hand went to my phone, like I was expecting something, I checked my recent calls to see if I missed any. None. I could have sworn but I kept my cool and dropped the phone.

    'Please call me' I muttered 'please Luciano.'

   Why the damn hasn't he called me yet?

    He should have!

I should know what he was thinking about what I told him last night, his next move if he has any and if he doesn't have, I can help.

Or, was I simply overreacting about this whole deal? Luciano believed me but then would he do anything?

"Damn!" I cursed silently.

At that moment, my phone's blaring sound made me jerk it up, I was expecting to see Luciano's number but the smile I wore washed off when I saw it wasn't him. It was my father.

    "Damn!" I cussed again. This time loud.

Fear gripped my heart, and I hesitated before refusing to answer. I couldn't pick up, mother told me he was angry, always angry about the whole fact that he believed I am a weakling. Speaking to him will just frustrate me more.

"Oh well, I will just wait and if he doesn't call, I'll call him." I told myself and got out of my car.

This whole thing suddenly made me hungry and I was craving for homemade food while playing some loud music or even games. I just had to do something to get my mind off this whole Luciano and everyone's mess.

I decided to make myself some sandwich and also do some paperwork. After making the sandwich, the surge to go through my stuffs came and I went ahead. As I rummaged through some clothes, I stumbled upon an old necklace belonging to Gladys.

I couldn't even remember how it got here but I knew I had to trash it, with all this issue with Tiffany, if she finds this here, I'll probably never have the chance to talk to her again. Memories of our lovemaking came to mind and I felt as if she was still riding me. As sweet as she was, she could be deadly.

It was at that point I remembered my mother's talk about a girl she knew, her parents were familiar with my father and they had died mysteriously. The way my mother said it, I kept thinking about Gladys. The main reason Gladys did what she did was because of me, everything mother said began to add up. The girl she told me will die just like her parents did many years ago, that girl, who is she?

Was it Gladys?

I felt sick to the pit of my stomach thinking about my parents being murderer. The only person to clear me off this doubt was my mother. Without thinking twice, I took my phone to call her. I might not be able to end her whole suffering with my father even though I want to but I will not allow him make my mother a murderer for the second time.

At the second ring, my mother picked. I immediately asked her about the girl she told me about.

   "That girl, who is she? And where is she?" I said impatiently.

Mother was silent for a while then she said,

       "He will kill her if he sees she's a threat, that's why I told you I can't leave. I know too much of your father's secret for him to spare me if I live his house without him knowing...I...."

"You what?"

"I don't know much but perhaps you should just go ahead with it."

"Go ahead with what?" I thundered then stopped when I reminded myself that father could be there.

My thoughts were right because as mother said that, I heard father's voice in the background.

"Do tell father I missed his call because of the bad network, he might be wondering why I'm calling you now and not him. I understand you can't talk now but I will ask you everything and I deserve some answers."

I knew I didn't sound convincing enough but...

"Massimo." My father's call came on and I could feel my mother's fear as she gave him the phone. "I didn't send you there for you to be a weak man, I want you to emulate me, son."

With a silent curse, I responded.

"Yes father, I have to go now, I have a class to attend." I paused and went on, "I have a class and I'm going to pick a girl, my girlfriend to be precise. You'll love her, she is a pretty nice girl from a good home, I haven't told mother about her yet, I just decided to tell you. We both study together." I hope I was able to divert his attention elsewhere, he might uncover more about the peculiar situation.

I expected a reply but the next I heard was the click of the phone indicating the call has ended. Well, that's all I get for trying to be a good son. I really hate talking to my father.

As the call ended, my fear began to consume me. I couldn't help but think about how Luciano would feel if I took Tiffany away from him, considering the strong connection I was able to develop between us.

I was literally torn between my affection for him and the desire to uncover the truth. For the nth time, I contemplated calling Luciano but ultimately decided against it. He should be the one to call!

Overwhelmed with these conflicting emotions, my frustration reached boiling point.

I cursed and yelled, unturned the table and threw the water jug before me on the wall. I was so frustrated about the whole issue. Eventually, I collapsed onto a chair, feeling drained and emotionally exhausted.

Just as I was beginning to get my sanity back, my phone rang once again. This time, it was Luciano. My heart leaped with excitement, and I quickly composed himself, putting on a facade of happiness before answering the call.

Let's see what he has to say.