45: The course mate

TIFFANY'S POV

      Assignments have always been my least favorite thing but i had no other option. But come to think of it, I have being doing different assignment, test, and exam as a kid!

     Pffff! So annoying.

    I sat on the wooden chair with my back stretched to the table. I wrote for a few more minutes before I dropped my pen on the table. I tried my best and I knew it was okay.

      I needed to drink water so I stood up. As I turned to leave, my phone buzzed.

      I grabbed the phone from the desk and checked the caller ID. It was my mom.

       "Mom?" I called.

      "Tiffany baby," she chuckled. "Don't tell me you were eating."

     "No no, I was uh— actually doing my assignments. They're so ducking much I have to spend my evening on them."

     "And why's that?"

Silence followed. I didn't want to respond to that because I couldn't start explaining it all to her.

"Tiff I'm listening," she said.

I scoffed. "Mom it's just —"

"Are you on detention again?" She asked with some form of shock evident in her voice.

Maybe not shocked but she just found it unbelievable that I was in some type of trouble. And aside that, I had never being in detention in college. I don't even think they have something like that unless Luciano had being too mouthy.

"Mom it's nothing serious," I said and tried to brush it off.

"Really? This isn't the second or third time you've gotten detention. Tell me how that ain't serious." She said.

I imagined her frown but that was it. She might have the idea of high school in mind.

"Mom I assure you that it isn't. It's just some stupid ass shit my friends did and I got involved."

"Friends?" She asked again. "Tiff I've told you —"

"To not mingle with bad friends," I completed. "I promise it's nothing like that. None of my friends are bad."

"But they are rebellious? Cause girl I know my daughter. You're rebellious and that must be a common trait shared amongst y'all."

"Mom you're just saying that. You don't mean it."

"Of course I do! You spent most of your weekdays in detention here and even when we tried to get you a better squad, you just seem to be the one influencing them too."

I shook my head. "Fine, you got me. I still maintain good grades though. You can't deny it."

"Don't be too sure of that," she warned.  "How's school though?"

"Fine, just annoying folks everywhere."

"Hmm, and your brother?"

"He's fine too," I responded. "How's Dad? I was hoping I could —"

"Hold on baby!" She said and some chatters followed in the background.

I remained calm waiting for her to finish up her conversation with whoever that was.