81: old Gladys

I took a deep breath and lowered the book I was holding to the couch.

I checked my wrist watch and it was fifteen past the time Tiffany said she'd come over.

I tried to take my mind off the whole situation but it wasn't working. All I could think of was to get a glass of distilled whiskey.

I reached for the slab and poured some to the glass. I gulped it down in one turn and a furrow appeared on my forehead.

I dropped the glass and turned away, walking back to the couch. I picked up my phone in an attempt to call her but I stopped myself.

I should not make her feel tensed or make her feel uncomfortable.

I dialed Antonio's number instead and ordered for him to meet me inside the house.

Few seconds after the call ended, I heard footsteps and turned in the direction of the footsteps.

It was Antonio. He was dressed in an all black outfit and his shirt depicted how much of a broad shoulder man he was.

"Boss," he said. "You called for me."

"Yes I did," I responded. "Are you sure you saw Tiffany leave the house?"

He gave a nod in approval. "Affirmative, sir."

"So why isn't she here yet? It's twenty minutes past the time."

I paused and then looked at him.  "You're sure you did not miss her and she probably returned inside?"

"No. I'm sure Vincent and I saw her leave the house. She was alone too."

I gave a small nod in response. Antonio was worked for my father for years and he's never made a mistake about the slightest details.

I only felt impatient and all I kept doing was to over think details.

"Alright," I told Antonio. "Let me know when she's at the door."

He gave a nod in understanding and walked away.

I felt the sudden urge to call Luciano and ask him if Tiffany already left but I didn't want to seem desperate to him.

Calling Luciano would be me acting on impulse and I didn't want that. I brushed it off and decided to get another glass of distilled whiskey.

The burning sensation it made my throat feel was all I needed. I reached for the glass and raised it to my lips.

I took a sip and then my phone vibrated in my pocket. I slid my hands inside my pocket and shoved out my phone.

I checked the caller ID an it was the lady from a few days back, Selena.

I raised the phone to my ear and after the beep sound, her voice clamored.

"Hi.. I uh, I just wanted to let you know I found someone."

A small smile crept on my lips. "Good work. I hope she matches all the requirements?"

She paused. "Not really. There's a slight difference in the height."

"I need the exact height, Selena. I thought I made that clear."

"Yes you did but all the women I found all have slight height differences. It's not so different anyways, I'm sure we can—"

"Enough," I ordered. "You'll stick to it rules here. I need a woman with the same height mentioned and the same hair color. Everything must be the same, no single disparity."

"Okay Boss."

"You either get this fast or your son will take over."

"Boss please— don't harm my sons, I'll do anything and—"

"Follow the rule, Selena."

With that, I ended the call and tossed the phone away.

I walked to the counter to get something to eat, my stomach was making that grumbling sound and I knew alcohol wouldn't help anymore.

I looked around trying to think of what to get. I reached for the cereal and turned some into a plate when my phone rang again.

I took up the phone and checked the caller ID. A furrow appeared on my forehead because I knew my father was running out of patience with me.

"Father—"

"Is this all a joke to you, Massimo?"

I swallowed hard. "No. It's not a joke father, I am working on it."

"I can't wait for you to get this sealed. Your step sister is going to get Tiff and she'll be in the UK if you fail to provide her in one month."

His voice was hoarse and I could tell that he was pissed.

"Father I just need two more months. I need to make Tiff trust me for this to work. Please Father, I only need two months."

"Of course that's your automated response, more time. You keep asking for more time when all you do is disappoint me and make me regret having you as a heir."

Hearing him say those words sent a rush to my body but I tried to brush it off. I can't let him make me feel devastated at a point like this.

"I'll make it up this time," I said. "I just need you to trust me okay? I'll try my best this time and make it up to you."

"I have only known you as a failure so I'm not moved."

"Father? Father I— fucking hell!" I cussed when I realised he already ended the call on me.

I scoffed hard and tossed the phone to the side. I was trying to contain my emotions but it wasn't working.

All j needed was to see Tiffany and get on the fucking plan.

A part of me wanted to prove my father wrong. To make him know that he was wrong about me always losing.

I was going to make this scenario a lot different. I assured myself and dialed Tiffany's number.

"Massimo?" She called when the call connected.

"Tiff— where are you?" I asked her.

"Uh—" she dragged for a second. "I'm with Gladys. I'll be around soon."

My scowl deepened and I ended the call. For some reason, I was suspecting Gladys and everything just felt odd. 

I took the bote of whiskey and gulped it down without pausing.

     "Odd Gladys" I muttered.