90: happy birthday

TIFFANY'S POV

My phone was raised to my ear as I listened to Gladys talk over the phone. She was telling me about some stories but I was distracted.

"Are you even listening?" She asked and I shook my head back into consciousness.

"Uh— yeah."

"You're not listening," she said. "You've barely responded to anything I've said and you don't even sound like you heard anything I said."

I took a deep breath. "It's not that I am not listening, I just—"

"What's the problem? You know you can always tell me what it is," she reminded.

"I've just been thinking a lot about school. I'm starting classes soon and— I've been seeing someone's nudes all over the internet."

"And so what? People get their stuff out all the time."

"No you don't get it," I told her. "It's mine. That is my nude, Gladys."

"Girl you're tripping cause no one leaked the photos."

"I just—"

"Listen to me, I know you're overthinking things but stop it. That is your nude."

"Right. I'm just uh— overthinking things. We'll talk tomorrow, I should get some sleep."

"Yeah, I agree. You need enough rest to stop tripping. Good night, Tiff."

The call ended and I just stood there for a moment. I exhaled audibly and turned to the climb on the bed.

I adjusted under the blanket an closed my eyes but I couldn't bring myself to get any sleep.

I was so uncomfortable that I felt turning. I turned to other side of the bed and just then, my phone buzzed.

I sat up and stretched to grab it from the table beside my bed. I checked the screen and it was a text from Massimo.

Massimo; Have you seen it? Reply me ASAP.

I read the text and my heart skipped for a moment. I then dialed his number waiting for the call to connect.

"Hey."

"Hey," he said. "Tiffany.. I wasn't expecting your call."

"Of course. I just had to call when I saw your text," I told him.

"Yeah. I just wanted to make sure you've seen it."

"See what?" I asked him.

"Your nude. It's all over the internet."

"You fucking piece of shit!! I knew that was you. Tell me, how do you feel being such an horrible person?"

"Tiffany you need fo call down, I didn't do it. Jeez! What do you think of me? I swear that I could never do such. It wasn't me I swear!!!"

"Then it was who?"

"I don't know but that wasn't me. I can't stoop so low to do something immature. Not something like that."

I exhaled audibly and rested my head on my hand.

"When did you find out about it?" He asked me.

"Some hours ago. How about you?"

"A few hours ago too," he responded and I felt like the ground should swallow me.

"Listen Tiff, I don't know who but I'll find a way to track who did this and I'll also figure a way to get it out of the internet before Luciano sees it."

A lump formed in my throat and I just swallowed hard. "Luciano won't know," I said. "The picture doesn't have a face so hell not know cause he hasn't seen my body before."

I needed to say that to clear the air cause it felt awkward hearing him say that.

"Oh, that's right."

I gave a small nod like he could see me and thought of something else to say about the situation.

"Tiff— we can see tomorrow. I mean, can we see tomorrow? I'd like to take you out and uh— maybe we could get some food and ice cream, pizza.. Whatever you want. Just us having some fun and catching up. What do you think?"

"Sorry, I can't. I have some things to do."

"That's okay Tiff," he said. "I can wait till you're ready. No pressure okay?"

"Yeah."

"Good night, I love you."

"Yeah, love you too," I responded and ended the call.

** * *

Thanks to my alarm, I work up early enough to get ready for school. I took my bath hurriedly then walked to the kitchen to get breakfast.

While I was contemplating what to have, I reached for the glass of water on the table and gulped it.

The door bell rang and I frowned. I wasn't expecting anyone but who knows? It could be the neighbors.

"Coming!" I said and walked to get the door. I opened the door and met a young beautiful lady there.

"Hi! She said. I'm looking for Luciano."

"Oh," I responded. I felt a rush if jealousy but proceeded to call Luciano for her.

When he came down, he greeted her and she handed him a box. "Happy birthday," she said. "This is for you."

"Oh really? Thanks!"

A wide smile came on his face and he appreciated her before she turned to leave. I looked the door behind her and for a moment, I wanted to nag about it.

I brushed it off and decided to see what was in the box with him. It was a gift box, a necklace with his face, mine,  his Dad's and my mom.

"This is so beautiful," he said with sincerity.

I gave a nod and then his phone rang. He put the call on loudspeaker

"Happy birthday darling! You're always family," my mom told him.

"I can't believe it.. This is so beautiful, thank you so much."

"I'm glad you like it. Have a lot of fun okay?"

I scowled when I realized my mom wasn't going to ask about me.

"Seems like i'm not anyone's favorite child," I said from the background.

Luciano laughed and said goodbye to my mom before ending the call.

He turned to face me and I could see the smile on his face.

"Happy Birthday," I told him. "I have to get going.. I'll be late for school."

He gave a small nod. "Sure.."

I smiled in response and walked away, trying to not think of anything.