Chapter 2: Fun with Sasha

So just a quick reminder (I know not all of you might feel compelled to listen, but I have to at least put it out there) I would like to ask that if you choose to favorite this story you also leave a review. I want to know what it was about the story that you liked. Also, so it doesn't get confusing, the girl, Cindy, is a character I made up for this chapter. We haven't really seen much of other students at St. James, so I'm probably gonna have to make a few up (I didn't want to use Maggie again as I don't want to peg her as the only "bully" character). As a side note, "Cindy" is named after a real person that I dislike. With that said, let's continue.

Over the next few days, Luz started adjusting to her new routine at St. James. She had even started getting used to her new uniform. The school was not very large, and she soon found herself memorizing the various halls and classrooms. Of course, she always looked forward to lunch when she could sit with her new friends and talk about whatever. She found that she and Anne shared interests in many of the same anime. And, of course, Marcy held an interest in not only Azura but also video games and art. Luz had yet to find some common ground with Sasha, but she still enjoyed hanging out with her. It was a new and exciting feeling for Luz, and she treasured every minute of it.

On this particular morning, she had arrived at her locker a little before the first bell in order to grab her clothes for the gym. As she arrived, however, another girl was already there. A tall girl with black hair and a punk streak about her. She blocked Luz's locker and stared at the young girl.

"Hey, I hear you're new here," she said in a gruff voice.

"Yes, I've only been here a few days, but this school is better than I thought it would be," said Luz, trying to be pleasant.

"Well, you ain't been paying the locker fee. It's a dollar a day to use your locker. Now pay up or else!" said the girl.

Before Luz could protest, she heard another voice behind her.

"Hey, Cindy, why don't you leave her alone?"

Luz turned to see Sasha approaching from behind her. She walked straight up to where Luz was and looked straight at the girl.

"Oh, Sasha, I'm not scared of you," said the girl identified as Cindy. "I don't care if I don't get invited to your parties. Or are you going to have your parents sue mine?"

"Oh, I'm not going to do anything to you, Cindy, but do you know who you're messing with?" said Sasha, pointing to Luz.

"Her? She don't look like much. I mean, look at her weak, nerd arms. I doubt she could punch her way out of a paper bag," said Cindy dismissively.

"Oh, that's not what I heard," said Sasha slyly.

"Huh? What do you mean?" asked Cindy.

"I guess you haven't been keeping up with the latest gossip," answered Sasha. "You see, I heard a rumor that Luz here was expelled from her previous school. You know why?"

Cindy shook her head.

"I heard Luz has a trained spider—a spider that listens only to Luz's commands, one that's so small it could be anywhere." As Sasha said this, her eyes darted around the hallway. Cindy's eyes began doing the same.

"I heard that some bully tried to mess with Luz, and she had her trained spider bite him," continued Sasha, her tone dropping to an ominous one. "That kid went to the hospital, and I don't know what happened. I don't even know if he recovered."

"I—you're bluffing!" exclaimed Cindy. "I don't believe it!"

"Fine, go ahead and mess with Luz. See what happens," said Sasha nonchalantly.