Chapter 41: True Colors (Part 2)

Okay, so here we are, at the end of Arc 4 and at a very pivotal point in the story. I wanted to use this chapter to give a very special shout-out to MiniJen, whose fic Universe Falls basically inspired this one.

I remember the first time I read Universe Falls and just really liking it! If you're a fan of Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, then I assume you've read it, though if you haven't, you REALLY should! Despite not really liking Gravity Falls, I liked that fic! It fixed a few of the problems I had with GF, and I really liked the interactions between Dipper, Mabel, Steven, and Connie. I loved any chapters where the four of them were together, as I felt they played well off each other.

Those of you who have read both fics have probably noticed a few similarities between that one and mine. The two biggest are: firstly, the Arc structure with ten chapters. The other is the fact that Luz is integrated with Anne's group. I thought it made sense to bring her into the group as a fourth character and then go on an adventure to one of the worlds (In UF, MiniJen essentially moved all of Beach City's people and locals to Gravity Falls, which, from a practical standpoint, made sense.) I couldn't really think of a way to combine Amphibia and the Demon Realm into one place, so I thought bringing Luz into the group and then having them go to one of the places was a better idea.

It was actually that idea that really got me started writing this fic, as I really wanted to explore how that would look. I thought, "Huh, these two series feel like they should go together. It feels like it would be perfect to combine them... kinda like Universe Falls..." I honestly wanted to try to write a fic that I hoped was at least as good as that one was. I guess it's up to you guys as to whether or not you think I succeeded...

If you check my profile page, you can even see I wrote a few shorts for Universe Falls when MiniJen held an event for that. They're still there, if you want to read them. I'd say this was actually part of what got me back into writing, as at the time, I'd actually stopped writing fanfiction. And now here I am with a fic that has over 500 reviews, tons of followers, and its own TV Tropes page!!! Because of all that, I've started writing poems again (something I NEVER thought would happen. I'd also given that up...), and well, I guess all I can really say is:

Thank you, MiniJen, for writing Universe Falls. I doubt I would have written this fic if you hadn't written yours...

Anne, Marcy, and the Plantars looked over at Luz as she slept in her bed. She hadn't regained consciousness since being brought to the hospital. Her left arm was wrapped in a cast, though the rest of her injuries had been cured. Anne moved her ear close to Luz's mouth and was relieved to hear breathing, even if it was slow and shallow. Anne reached down to grab Luz's hand and gently held it in her own hand, hoping that by some miracle, she could will Luz to wake up just by holding her hand. As this was happening, Lady Olivia came into the room with Lilly, Gustav, and Amara.

"Any change?" asked Olivia. Anne replied by shaking her head.

"I'm so sorry to hear that," said Olivia, "but the doctors assure me that they're giving her the best care they can. You all have nothing to worry about."

This didn't do anything to change the worried looks on anyone's face in the room, as they all looked from Olivia back to Luz. Olivia noticed this and tried to lighten the mood.

"Why, I believe Master Marcy stayed here in this very bed after that nasty fall down the stairs, didn't you, Marcy?" asked Olivia.

"What? Oh, yeah, I did!" said Marcy. "I thought this room looked familiar. Yeah, unfortunately, the very first thing I did after arriving in Newtopia was to break my leg, but I was okay!"