Chapter 46: A Lie That is True

So here we are, the first original chapter of this arc, and one that I wasn't initially sure I would include, if only because I thought there would be a canon one. While watching season three of Amphibia I had wondered if there would be an episode that addressed the parents of Sasha or Marcy and what they were going through, and I was very disappointed to see them relegated to a letter at the end of the Christmas episode. Then the rest of season three happened and we never got to meet them at all, which you know....really!? I love Amphibia, but man I gotta admit that was a really dumb decision to not have us see the parents even once. I heard there was going to be an episode where Sasha talked about her parents divorce (which again was only ever implied in the main show) and how it might have been a factor in her controlling tendencies. I really wish they had, I would have much preferred that to the parasite episode (they already resolved the whole mind control parasite thing with the collars, we didn't need ANOTHER one on Garry, especially since it was right before the finale...come on SERIOUSLY?!). Again I'm disappointed that the only things we ever learned about Sasha and Marcy's parents were through the journal. I guess it's good that we got that, but I feel some of that could have been in the show proper. There was definitely some filler episodes that could have been cut to make room for it. (cough Spider Sprig, cough Sasha's Angels)

Speaking of which shout-out to DA user SpongeGuy11 for getting me a digital copy of Marcy's Journal. Honestly I wasn't going to bother with the journal, but after I heard that there was a picture of both of the girls parents in there I wanted to see it just so I could at least describe them. Since I ended up getting a full copy of it I figured may as well read it and yeah there was some interesting stuff in there. Maybe I'll make a post about my thoughts on it in the future.

Also wanted to say that if you want an idea of what Detective Ventura looks like, check out a Youtuber/Ticktoker named "Kurious Katie" I based the look of the character on her. Her videos are mostly comedic, but I could see her playing a tough as nails cop. She's also who I would pick to voice the character if this was an actual show. The character is also partially based on Olivia Benson from Law and Order SVU. Watched a lot of that show for a long time, though haven't seen much of the new stuff.

When I started coming up with chapters for Arc Five I knew I wanted to actually address this problem so I made sure to include a chapter where we would at the very least meet Sasha's parents. If you're wondering the reason I had Marcy's parents move in my fic was basically to not have to deal with them. I figured if I moved them then we didn't need to address why Anne never bothered trying to contact them, after reading the journal and seeing that they didn't move (which is still dumb by the way) I have thought about maybe doing a chapter about them in Arc Six, not sure yet, but we'll see.

Anyway, I've ranted for a while now, so sorry about that. I'm sure you all want to just get on with it and read the next chapter or you skip reading the notes anyway, though you really shouldn't as sometimes I have important things to say in them so here you go. I'd love to hear what you think of my take on Sasha's parents and whether you think there should have been a chapter like this in the show.

I hope I continue to impress you...

Author's Note: Before reading this chapter I recommend you read the one-shot "Bonding Through Grief" Some things from that are referenced in this chapter so you should make sure and read it so that you'll be aware of those events. You can find it on my "Owl and the Frog One-shots" story.

A Week Before the Dance

"Come on, hurry up Luz!" called Sasha, the young blonde sitting on her bed.

"Just give me a minute," said Luz from the closet, after a few minutes, she emerged from the closet wearing the clothes Sasha had given her. A dark blue crop top with some short black shorts, Luz looked at herself in the mirror and became instantly embarrassed.