Chapter 9: Dance of Romance

So I got this done before Christmas. I guess you can consider it my gift for all of you. Although I understand if some of you hate me after reading this...

Okay, so this chapter... When I first started sitting down and thinking about what I wanted to see in Arc 1 (the prologue Arc before the main adventure), there were two moments that I really wanted to put in. The first was the Sleepover chapter, and the second was this chapter. I also wanted this chapter to happen right before the end of the Arc for a few reasons, which will probably become more clear as the story goes on.

So I'm not usually one to go about putting in "Trigger Warnings" in my work or who believes in putting them in general (for various reasons), but I thought at the very least I should warn you, the readers, that this chapter will get emotional at the end. It will be both dark and sad. I hope that hasn't spoiled anything, but I felt that I should at least let you know. Oh one more thing the song the girls dance to in the fic is the same song that I used in the first music video I ever made

And now it's finally time...

Luz paced around her room, looking at the set of clothes that Sasha had picked out for her for the dance that evening. It was still several hours until it started, but Luz was not sure she wanted to wear what Sasha had selected for her. As it turned out, Luz did not have anything "acceptable" to wear (according to Sasha), so she had, in addition to giving her some makeup, she also lent her a crop top shirt. She told Luz to wear it with her jean shorts and a pair of nice boots. Luz had tried this combination on in her room and was embarrassed to see how much skin it exposed. She decided to give Sasha a call and ask if she had any other recommendations. Luz dialed Sasha's number on her phone.

"Hello," answered Sasha.

"Hey, Sasha, it's Luz," said Luz.

"Oh hey, Luz. What's up? Can you make it quick? I've already started doing my hair," said Sasha.

"What, you're already getting ready? Uh, okay, so listen, I tried on that shirt you gave me. Um, I'm not sure I'm liking it," said Luz.

"What's wrong with it?" asked Sasha.

"It's a little, um, revealing, especially when I wear it with the shorts," answered Luz.

"Well, yeah, I mean, that's the point," replied Sasha.

"What?!" said Luz in surprise.

"Hey, if you want to attract a boy to you, you need to show a little skin. And the makeup will fix the problem of your plain face. I guarantee that you will look great and you'll be able to have any boy you want," said Sasha.

"I... Okay, but it still feels like I'm showing off a lot, and I just don't feel comfortable wearing something like that," said Luz.

"Luz, I'm trying to do you a favor here. I lent you my shirt and my makeup. You want to keep your status at school, don't you? Then wear what I picked out for you. End of discussion," said Sasha forcefully.

"But I—"

"End of discussion," repeated Sasha, before hanging up the phone.

Luz sighed in frustration at this. It's not like she didn't have other clothes she could wear to this dance, but what was weird was why she felt compelled to listen to Sasha's advice.

No, I have to be my own person, she thought. I don't want to wear what she picked out, but what can I wear instead?

Luz began shuffling through her closet, trying to pick something else. While Sasha's clothing suggestion had been to attract boys, Luz didn't want to attract any boys, at least not tonight. She wanted to attract Anne. Luz had been going over the plan in her mind about how to confess her feelings to Anne, and it was very simple. All she had to do was ask Anne to dance, but it had to be the perfect song, and the mood had to be just right. Then, while they were dancing, she would compliment Anne on her eyes or hair and tell her how nice of a person she was. Oh, she would say how much she looked like Asami Sato! Yes, that would be wonderful! Then she would ask Anne out on a date, and Anne would say yes! And then it would all be perfect!