Chapter 22: Training Time

So I'd like to give a shoutout to Spectacular Troper, the person who recommended my fic on TV Tropes. I don't know who you are, but I am honored that you feel my fic is worthy of a recommendation. I hope I continue to impress you and all others who read this story.

Now on with the show!

Luz Noceda stood still with her eyes closed. She wasn't wearing her normal clothes. Uodeela had given her a white robe to put on in preparation for her training. She stood barefoot in the dirt, doing her best to concentrate. She did her best to try to use her other senses to read the surrounding environment, just like Uodeela had asked.

"Now listen, kid," said Uodeela, "you can still hear my voice, so pay attention and absorb what I'm telling you."

"Yes, Master," replied Luz.

"Good, now keep your eyes closed. I want you to use your other senses and tell me about the place we're in," instructed Uodeela. She had taken Luz to a deep part of the forest that was unfamiliar to her in order to try to get her to focus.

Luz kept her eyes closed and focused on her other senses. She could hear the birds chirping in one area of the forest. She could smell the flowers that were near her. She could feel the breeze brushing past her, and she could feel the ground under her feet.

"I hear birds chirping," she said.

"Good. From which direction?" asked Uodeela.

Luz focused on the sound. "From the north."

"Good. What about the ground?" asked Uodeela.

Luz felt the dirt under her feet and between her toes. "The ground is moist and a little muddy. I think it rained here recently."

"Yes, that's right. What do you smell?" asked Uodeela.

"I smell some flowers," said Luz.

"What kind?" asked Uodeela.

Luz sniffed the air. "Midnight orchids, which are also used for sleeping potions."

"Good. Magic flows through all living things, so you need to be able to feel this connection," said Uodeela. "You are the conduit for magic. Through you, it can flow as well, and then you can have it do what you want it to do. In order to have the best chance, you have to clear your mind and focus only on what you want to do with magic. Now breathe!"

"Yes, Master," said Luz, who began to take long, slow breaths.

"As you breathe, clear your mind. Don't think about anything except what I'm about to tell you," said Uodeela.