Chapter 6: Summer Stories

Okay, finally over halfway done with this first Arc. This chapter will be a series of short vignettes that take a look at what all the characters did over summer break. Oh, for the record, the "Cool chapter please continue," review is an actual review I received on one of my stories. Marcy's reaction was basically mine......

The last story has some interesting clues about the future, so pay attention. I hope you are all enjoying this story.

Anne At Work

The lunch rush at Thai Go was starting to die down. The last few customers were filling out the door, finally giving Anne some breathing room. She had only been working as a hostess, but as the restaurant got busier, her parents asked her to help serve the food and even take orders. This had proven a little difficult for Anne, who was not used to working in such an environment. Still, she did her best and actually managed to make a few tips. When the restaurant was empty, she finally complained to her mom.

"Well, I hope next summer we can hire an additional server, so it's not just me taking out all the food," she said to her mom.

"But, Anne, sweetie, if we hire another server, that means fewer tips for you," replied her mother.

"Eh, I'm willing to accept that trade-off," said Anne.

"Hiring another server cost more money, restaurant needs to do better before we get new server," said her mother. "Besides, good for you to be working and not watching videos all day."

"I don't watch videos all day. Sometimes, I argue about things on internet forums," said Anne.

"Ah, yes, you fight with people online over which season of Suspicion Island is best?" answered her mom sarcastically.

"Not just that," began Anne incredulously, "I also fight over who is a better pick for Constance, and I also get mad at people who dislike photos of Domino."

"Ah, yes, that reminds me," said her mother. "When you get home, you need to change Domino's litter. It's been 3 days."

"Yes, Mom," said Anne morosely. At that moment, the door opened, and a customer walked in, though it was one that Anne knew.

"Ms. Noceda!" exclaimed Anne. "How are you?"

"I'm hungry, Anne. I just got done pulling a double. I thought about going to Chimichurri Sandwiches, but this place is closer, and it's nice to see you," said Mrs. Noceda. She also waved to Anne's mother, who greeted her.

"Always good to see you, Camila," said Mrs. Boonchuy warmly.

"So, Anne, you're working here over the summer?" asked Camila. "Aren't you only twelve?"

"Child never too young to learn value of hard work," countered Mrs. Boonchuy. "Besides, she'll be thirteen in the fall."