Chapter 26: The Battle of Tadpole Pond!

Okay, so this chapter... It is very long, and (I hope) very emotional. I put a lot into writing this chapter, and I knew when I first planned it out that it would be a major moment In my story, so I wanted to make sure to do it justice. I was very nervous about writing this chapter because I wanted it to be good. I guess now that it's here, it will be up to you to tell me what you think. I hope I impressed you!

So, remember that video I was planning as a celebration of so many reviews/favorites? It's finally ready! It was created by the very amazing and talented Cartooncatkatzenjammer. She created an animatic based on my story! You can find it on her YouTube channel. Please go watch it and show her some love. She did a wonderful job on it, and I'm honored to have had her create it for me!

One more thing...

This chapter has some intense scenes. It may be scary for younger readers...

Three Years Ago

Toad Tower

At the highest point of Toad Tower, Grime had gathered a large group of frogs from the town of Swampshire, though his focus was on one particular frog.

"Citizens of Swampshire," began Grime in a loud and grandiose voice, "you have all been summoned here today to learn a very hard and valuable lesson. Now, of course, you know that as citizens of his majesty, King Andrias Leviathan, you are all required to pay taxes to the crown. And we, the toads of the Southern Tower, are tasked with collecting these taxes, but it seems there is one among you who believes this should not continue."

The toads closed in around a green female frog who had been separated from her husband and daughter. The toad soldiers manhandled her and pushed her to the ground in front of Grime.

"Ah, here we are," began Grime. "This traitorous journalist, who writes for the Swampshire Tribune, wrote an article in the newspaper about how unfair this system is. She thinks that these taxes are nothing more than extortion and that frogs shouldn't have to pay them. Her article goes on to say how foolish toads are for agreeing to this. Now this sounds like traitorous talk to me."

"It's not treason; it's the truth," said the green frog defiantly.

"Silence!" said Grime, smacking her across the face.

"Mommy!" exclaimed a young blue frog from the crowd. She rushed forward to try to be with her mother, but the toad soldiers stood in her way, preventing her.

"Back in line, frog!" yelled Grime to the girl. "Your mother is about to learn why you don't spread lies and treasonous talk." With that, Grime snapped his fingers, and the soldiers grabbed the frog and marched her towards the edge of the tower. A fall from that height would surely have killed her, but, unfortunately, that wasn't the fate Grime had in store for her.

At the bottom of the tower was a large carnivorous plant. Some toads at the bottom were using ropes attached to the plant to keep it steady. Its jaws smashed open and closed, resisting the ropes. It continued to struggle but eventually stopped, as it seemed to have noticed that the toads were preparing to feed it a fresh victim.

"Let this be a lesson for all of you. This is what happens to troublemakers who step out of line and start questioning how things work around here," said Grime.

"NO! Please! I'm begging you, don't hurt my mom!" said the small blue frog, rushing forward to try to rescue her mother. This time, though, her father held her back.

"It's okay, Lilly," said her mother. "I'll always be with you. Be strong. I love you."

"Mom, no!" cried Lilly as her mother was led to the edge of the tower.