Chapter 14: Elixirs and Potions

Okay, so this chapter also took a long time to write. That's for two reasons.

#1. I had to move things from this chapter into other ones, and to a degree, I had to change my original idea for what I wanted in this. I'm hoping this is the last time this will happen, at least in this arc.

#2. I wasn't sure whether or not to include the scene with magic in it. I've been really torn about speculating about how magic works in Amphibia. On one hand, I'd like to add my own spin on how things work, but on the other, I'm worried that I may speculate on something that turns out to be false. I also struggled with this in the chapter when I first introduced Uodeela. Her being able to use magic because she is bonded with a gem is pure speculation on my part. I thought it sounded cool, and it seemed obvious that the gems from the music box had been absorbed by the girls, so I felt it was a reasonable assumption. Her eyes changing color when she uses magic is a touch I added because I thought it sounded cool.

So let's talk a bit about my head-canon/speculation for what might happen in the future. I'm guessing that in regular cannon, the girls will discover that they have powers and eventually be able to wield their magic on command. Since Luz is part of the group now, the same thing will have happened to her, and she will at some point be able to wield magic freely. I'm also kind of hoping that those powers will be lost when they eventually return to the human world (though if they aren't, I have a contingency for that as well). Also, I assume that since there's evidence that Amphibia used to be a more technological world, what happened was the Calamity Box, which caused a calamity that destroyed all evidence of that and sent the whole world "back in time" (not literally, but sent them back to a less developed era).

A small part of me has thought about waiting, (and now I really regret starting early), but I don't think I have the patience to wait, at least not until the end of the series when all questions will be answered. So here's hoping that I was close to the mark as we finally get back into season 2 of Amphibia.

A few days after the tomato incident, Uodeela regrew a new hand, and she seemed glad to have it. She showed it off to Luz one morning in order to assuage her fears of losing her old one.

"Ah, feels good to have both hands again," she said, flexing, and turning it in front of Luz. "See, kid? Good as new."

"I still can't believe you can do that," said Luz. "I must admit, I'm a little jealous."

"Well, here's hoping I don't lose my tail anytime soon," began Uodeela. "Ah, don't worry, I can regrow that, too. It just takes a bit longer."

"Well, good to know anyway," said Luz. "In the future, I'll try not to freak out if I see you lose a body part, since I know how easily you can regrow them."

As the days and weeks passed by, Luz got used to the routine with Uodeela and her apprentices. She would spend some days lecturing her students about the various types of potion ingredients and how to prepare them. On other days, she would take her students out on a walk in the forest and point out different types of plants and what they could be used for. And on other days, she would prepare a potion in front of her students for some practical knowledge, then drink it to show its effects. Though as of yet, she hadn't had her students try to prepare a potion of their own, but that would soon change.