Chapter 17: Azura's Troupe

Okay, so I hope you all are doing well. Only three chapters left in this Arc (technically two, since I already started work on the last chapter). I'm still unsure about whether I should release it immediately or wait until the season 2 finale. Partly because the finale might end up changing some things, but also just to increase the suspense. Feel free to let me know what you think.

In any case, please enjoy the chapter and review!

Luz sat in the living room, reading her Azura book. Today, the students had a day off, so they were enjoying some much-needed free time. Luz was reading her book while Lilly was drawing something on a notepad. Strangely, Gustav and Amara weren't around, but neither Luz nor Lilly noticed at first. Though eventually, Luz did look up from her book.

"Hey, where are Gustav and Amara?" she asked.

Lilly looked up from what she was drawing. "Hmmm, now that you mention it, I haven't seen them since breakfast."

Luz was about to respond when she heard some music being played. "Hey, do you hear that?"

Lilly's ears picked up the music Luz was referring to. "Let's go check it out."

Luz and Lilly followed the sound of the music out of the house and around to the back. There, they saw Amara and Gustav playing together. Amara was playing a small harp, while Gustav was playing an ocarina. The two were deep into playing their instruments and didn't notice Lilly and Luz arrive. Lilly and Luz were captivated by the song they were playing and listened intently. Gustav and Amara kept playing and eventually finished their song. When they did, Luz and Lilly both applauded, finally alerting the other two to their presence there.

"Bravo!" cheered Luz.

"That was very elegant," said Lilly.

"Um, thank you," answered Amara, slightly embarrassed.

"Ah, you weren't supposed to see us," said Gustav, as he tried to hide his ocarina.

"Why not?" asked Luz. "That sounded beautiful! You both sounded great!"

"Yeah, how'd this happen?" asked Lilly.

Gustav and Amara looked at each other before Amara spoke, "Well, I was practicing my harp one day and Gustav happened to find me, kind of like how you guys found us just now, and he showed me how he had an ocarina. We jammed together for a bit and decided to keep at it."

"Amara told me how she'd been required to learn a musical instrument as part of her upbringing," said Gustav. "As for me, well, my dad has had an interest in music for most of his life. In fact, he'd honestly rather perform as a street musician than be a soldier."

"That song you were playing was that from The Opera of the Frog Knight?" asked Lilly.