CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Neville sighed again, it was probably his fifteenth time sighing from the time Maykha had left for her detention. He was sitting restlessly in the common room, waiting for his friend to come back despite the late hours. Their other friends tried to reassure him that if there's anyone who can easily survive Snape's detention, it would be her. Unfortunately, no amount of reassurance from them was enough to calm his nerves. So, as the others decided to call it a night, he stayed there alone to wait and see for himself that she would come back safe and sound.

Of course, a part of him knew that she would be fine. But, perhaps worrying was his second nature, and he would rather be worried than nonchalant when it comes to his friends.

Playing with his thumbs, with only the ticking sound of the clock heard within the room, Neville flinched when he heard the sound of the door opening. As Maykha appeared, he immediately jumped on his feet to see her.

"You're still awake?" Maykha asked in surprise, but instead of giving her a response, Neville went on to inspect her face, and arms, "W-what are you doing?"

"Inspecting you. Were you hurt? Scratched? Burned?" Neville asked to which Maykha answered with a giggle, to his surprise, "why are you laughing?"

"You should have seen your face," Maykha laughed, "you act like my dad, but to answer your question, no, no, and no."

Neville had one last look on her, "Sure?"

"A hundred percent. I'm fine, though my arms are quite a bit sore from scrubbing cauldrons," Maykha said, massaging her arms with her other hand. He noticed the exhaustion written on her face, and he wanted to do something for her.

"Come," Neville grabbed her hand and led her to sit on the sofa. Then, he started squeezing her arms softly and gently, making sure he was not hurting her more than the cauldrons already did. As he massaged her, he was also keeping track of her expression to make sure she was comfortable.

"You really didn't have to do this, Nevy. You're also tired," Maykha protested, but the relief was evident from her face.

"Shh, just let me," he said.

Truth be told, he was not simple doing this for his friend, but he felt like he needed to do this in order for his worry to worth something. Moreover, he knew that he was part of the reasons why Maykha had lost her temper and had gotten herself into detention.

Massaging her and easing her pain was the least he could do for his friend who stood up for him. She may be small but she was taller and bigger than what his eyes were capable of seeing.

Perhaps, it was simply because of how much he admired her courage for standing up to what she thought was right, or her fearlessness to speak her mind — thing he wished he could do as well. There may be a bit of envy, but there was no one else to blame but himself for becoming he he had become.

"Thank you for this, Nevy," Maykha said, diverting his mind from the destructive thoughts it was making him feel.

"You're welcome."

"And thank you for waiting for me."

"Y-you're welcome."

"And thank you for being worried about me."

Neville was already feeling his blood rushing through his cheeks, overwhelmed by the girl's sudden train of gratitude. He had no idea why she had to thank him for the things that he did, as he figured it would be stranger for him not to do anything at all.

"Y-you don't h-have to t-thank me for every little things," he said stuttering, with his voice getting smaller and smaller.

"I say thank you because I appreciate what you did, Nevy, and I want you to know that I appreciate you."

And there goes her own magic, as what Neville had called it, making him feel bigger than what he really was. Maykha always had her way with words, saying things that would make his stomach feel strange, or words that he thought were too good for someone like him. Yet, he accepted her words, and he would like to believe that with each word Maykha said, he was becoming a better person than who he used to be.

Despite her impact on him, it seemed like she was unaware of it as she dozed off on the sofa after he gave her a massage.

"Looks like I'd have to carry you again."