XIII

P.o.v. Tina:

       I cannot stop thinking about Heidi. All day, all night I can only think about her. What kind of sorcery has she done to me to get me so wrapped around her finger? Gosh. Get a grip, Tina. She's just some pretty and cute girl you met on vacation and whatever is going on will end when you go back to Bangkok.

       I don't even want to go back to Bangkok.

       I'm surfing with Patrick now that we both ended our shift. We've been doing this almost everyday and I'm feeling a lot more confident. I feel myself stable on the board and it moves as I wish it does. Am I using proper attire? Of course I'm not. We are both just using whatever, good on us for agreeing on this little surf get togethers always at the last moment. I'm using some swimming top and shorts. At least I can show off a bit.

       Marima was with Nudee watching us from the beach, Charlotte and P'Fa disappeared not long after we got together. No clue where they are but I'm not sure I want to know. I'm training and showing Patrick some new trick I've learnt, it's really cool. It makes me feel really cool. He's just being how good he is at surfing. Girls and boys drooling over us as they watch. I won't judge them, we look pretty cool, and my top is really showing my abs so that's also bonus points. I've worked really hard to get them, why wouldn't I show them?

       Marima is getting mad at some girls screaming for Patrick, trying to show her "ownership" but I'm just finding it funny. It's been a while since I've felt this free. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. Just me, the water and some admirers. The thing is, if I fall or if I make a fool out of myself, as long as I'm safe and following guidelines, no one will remember that tomorrow, most of them are bennies after all, they won't be here for long. Nudee will probably laugh at me, but I would laugh too! I really like surfing, it's a sensation I cannot explain.

       I do an aerial so well done everybody clapped, even the grommets from surf class. They're so cute! It's the best one I've ever done. I'm impressed! I pull into a closeout wave and enter a barrel touching the water, it's a cathartic experience. When I get out of the tube I see a new face watching me. An almost proud smile on her lips. Heidi is there clapping for me. Next to her is a close faced Kevin. I don't know how I feel about that. 

       What if I fall now? It will be embarrassing.

       - It's a hard one, don't bail.

       - Of course I won't.

       I surf it carefully, nose riding one right after. I look at Heidi and she's still looking at me, this time next to Marima and Nudee. We surf some more until the waves get choppy and we are forced to stop. 

       - It was amazing, you guys!

       - Patrick, you need to stop surfing like that! Next time you use your suit. All the girls were looking at you!

       - Next time I'll hang eleven.

       - Ew! Don't count me in.

       - Tina, what did he say?

       - He'll surf naked.

       - Oh no you won't! - I was watching their playful banter when Heidi approached me. Kevin didn't seem amused.

       - Tina.