Vigilance (Chapter 22 Part 1)

Word count: 18.0k

Pairings: Jake x Reader

Warnings: Alcohol, Cursing, Dramatic Themes. Angst Including: Talks of Infidelity, Toxic Themes, Stalking, Arguing, Yelling, Extreme Portrayal of Sadness, Crying, Abandonment, Heartbreak, Talks of Illness, Extreme Illness, Fainting, Hospitalization, Hospital Procedures and Protocols, Talks of Death and Dying. Smut Including: Kissing, Touching, Fingering, Oral F!Recieving Fluff.

JAKE POV

"How was your breakfast date..."

She shrinks back at your words, a look of confusion crossing her face.

"My what?" she asks.

"Your date. Your breakfast date with Logan." you say firmly.

She turns her head in shock, before turning to look back at you, "It wasn't a date Jake. He is my friend. We just went and got breakfast and walked over to the farmer's market across the street..."

"Sure looked like a date." you quip.

"What? What do you mean?" she asks, shaking her head.

You pull your phone from your pocket, and pull up your texts from Danny, holding your phone towards her to take from your hand.

Her eyes scan over the glass flipping through the photos. "This is so weird. Who is taking photos of me? Why?" she asks.

"Fans. People who know we're together. Or were." you paused. "Went to the store. I waited all damn day for you to come back."

"Oh god. Jake... I am so sorry, I–"

"Got caught up? Forgot we had plans when a better offer came along?" you ask, an edge to your voice.

"Jake..." she said, a flash of pain in her eyes.

She walked over to you and grabbed your hand, "Help me carry these bags into the study." she smiles sweetly.

"What? No. We aren't finished talking." you respond.

"Just! Help me, please." she says, grabbing a few bags in her hands.

You huff and pick up the remaining bags, setting them on the floor before positioning yourself on the couch.

"Was it...a date?" you ask.

"No. Not at all." she says. "Logan and I met for breakfast, had a few mimosas, and as I was leaving I saw a farmer's market across the street. We missed the last one because we were in Veg– well, we just missed the last one, and I wanted to go. Logan said he didn't want me to walk alone, so he came with me." she said, reaching for a brown paper bag on the floor.

She opened the bag and started pulling out all kinds of fresh vegetables and fruit, way better stuff than you saw at the store today.

"I saw these tomatoes and I remembered that spaghetti sauce you made that one time and I just... I don't know, I thought maybe we could make it together. So I got a couple, and a few zucchini and some squash, and I thought these beets looked good too. I know you don't cook with them a lot, so I thought maybe you could find a new recipe or something while you're locked away in the house. We could test it and see if we like it." she said, looking at you with eyes full of hope.

Shit. You read this completely wrong.

You let a guilty smile cross your face, and as you went to respond she smiled and started talking again, "So I kept walking down the path looking at the little booths and there was this sweet little man, and he had all these homemade pastas, and I was like, 'okay spaghetti sauce needs pasta' so I ended up with way too many bags, because he was so sweet and he told me about his wife and... Well we are set on pasta I think." she smiled.