Vigilance (Chapter 28 Part 2)

Word count: 23.5k

Pairings: Jake x Reader, Sam x OC

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS STRONG THEMES THAT WILL BE TRIGGERING TO SOME READERS. THIS INCLUDES DESCRIPTIONS OF VIOLENT SITUATIONS AND TALKS OF DEATH. PLEASE READ ALL WARNINGS BEFORE PROCEEDING.

Warnings: Language, Alcohol, Drugs Use, Smoking, Fluff. Angst: Severe Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Confusion, Mentions of Death and Dying, Mentions of Hospitals, Hospital Procedures, Hospital Equipment, IV's, Medication, Sedation, Mentions of Surgical Procedures, Mentions of Police and Paramedics, Unconsciousness, Extreme Sadness, Crying, Yelling, Guns and Gun Violence, Blood, Mentions of Stalking, Nightmares, Memory Loss and Amnesia, Mentions of Abuse and Domestic Violence, Talks of Extreme Life Saving Measures, Choking, Lifelessness, Mentions of Comas, Death and Dying, Extreme Grief, Talks of Marriage and Generally Dark Themes.

HER POV

Okay, let's try this again.

Open your eyes, Y/N.

You can do it, one eye at a time...

With every ounce of effort you can muster, your eyes finally crack open. The light of the room was blurry, and you could hardly make anything out. Just shapes and colors as your eyes adjusted. You move your arms behind you to sit yourself up, oh god, your arms.

They work! They work!

But damn, they're so weak...

Wait, one of your arms works...

You manage to lift yourself to a wobbly seated position, your eyes still blurred and sensitive to the light. You twist your neck, and roll your head from side to side, the sensation is painful but you welcome it...you're finally able to move.

The dizziness is overwhelming, though. Your stomach, starving. You slowly lift your left hand, inspecting your fingers one by one. You spot the freckle on the inside of your pointer finger, and the tiny birthmark on the inside of your wrist. Yep, still you. You move and crack your fingers, roll your shoulders and work your jaw. Everything is so sore...

Fuck, wait...why doesn't your right arm work?

You inspect yourself further, finding your right arm in a sling, and finally realizing the excruciating pain radiating through your shoulder. Mother fuckkkkker, that hurts like a bitch...

You raised your hand to rub your eyes, feeling your own touch on your face. You pressed hard on your eyelids, sending shooting and waving colors across the darkness of your vision while you rubbed them. God, that feels so damn good.

A cough. A hard cough... your throat felt like it had a hundred spikes in it, each one covered in sand and grit. You tried to swallow, but it was almost as if you'd forgotten how. Finally, when you willed the saliva to collect, you remembered the steps to swallow, working through it after a few tries.

What in the fuck happened?

You knew you were in the hospital, and you knew something bad had happened, but what? You looked around the room, your vision clearing just a little while you got your bearings. There was something soft that had fallen into your lap, old and ripped in some places. You lifted it to get a closer look, suddenly remembering exactly what it was.

Was this...Jake's old flannel? Why is it here? Why do you have it?

No...wait. Where is everyone? Where is Sam?