Vigilance (Chapter 28 Part 1)

Word count: 19.5k

Pairings: Jake x Reader, Sam x OC

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS STRONG THEMES THAT WILL BE TRIGGERING TO SOME READERS. THIS INCLUDES DESCRIPTIONS OF VIOLENT SITUATIONS AND TALKS OF DEATH. PLEASE READ ALL WARNINGS BEFORE PROCEEDING.

Warnings: Language, Alcohol, Drugs Use, Smoking, Fluff. Angst: Severe Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Confusion, Mentions of Death and Dying, Mentions of Hospitals, Hospital Procedures, Hospital Equipment, IV's, Medication, Sedation, Mentions of Surgical Procedures, Mentions of Police and Paramedics, Unconsciousness, Extreme Sadness, Crying, Yelling, Guns and Gun Violence, Blood, Mentions of Stalking, Mentions of Abuse and Domestic Violence, Talks of Extreme Life Saving Measures, Choking, Lifelessness, Graphic Descriptions of Wounds, Mentions of Comas, Death and Dying, Extreme Grief, Mentions of Cemeteries, Talks of Marriage, Talks of Deceased Family Members and Generally Dark Themes.

JOSH POV

'Someone's dead.'

What do you say when you receive news like that?

Is there a correct response?

Is the body's natural response of rejection a protective measure? A primitive defense mechanism, designed to push the unwanted information into the deepest darkest depths of your mind, where you question whether you misheard the original statement?

Surely, here, that must be the case.

'No', that's all Jake could say. Over and over again, 'no, no, no' as he locked his guitar case and headed towards the hotel room door. Almost as if he was convincing himself that it couldn't be true. His eyes were blank and glassy as he balanced his phone between his shoulder and his ear, willing Y/N to answer the call.

Sam frantically rushed around the room, chest heaving as his mind replayed the phone call again and again. His hands shook as he shoved his things into his jacket pockets and tried to keep himself from hyperventilating.

Jake threw the door open, storming out into the quiet hallway, with Sam not too far behind him. You shot a look at Daniel, nodding towards Sam and he wordlessly understood to follow him. You swiped your room key from the table and rushed out to chase after your twin, knowing that only you were equipped to handle him like this.

Had you been two seconds later, his hotel room door would have slammed shut in your face, but you caught it with a swift hand. As you stepped into his room, he caught sight of you over his shoulder, as he quickly worked to throw his every belonging into his suitcase.

"Jake..." you offer, with a cautious tone.

"Stop. Just don't." he snaps.

"You have time Jake. Just slow down for a second."

"Do I?! Do I have time?" he mocks. "Help me pack my shit, or get the hell out!"

You grab the clothes hanging in the closet, and throw them in his direction as he fumbles with his toiletry bag zipper. His breathing has grown heavy and his hands shaky as he tosses the small leather bag amongst the pile of crumpled clothes.

Suddenly he stops, turning to you with a horrified look as his hands drop to his sides, "The shows..."

You run your hand over your face, trying to remain calm, "Just keep packing, I– I have a plan."

A crease forms between his brows as he takes in the gravity of the situation. "The contracts Josh..."

"I'll deal with it, Jacob. Trust me, okay? All I need you to worry about is getting to Georgia." you answer, hoping he would heed your advice.