33. Gun Shots

Damian’s POV

The echo of her body hitting the floor filled the dilapidated, old warehouse. Her body hit the cold, hard concrete surface. Carelessly looking down at her, I studied her face. The right side of her jaw and cheek was purple and bruised. Blood was rubbed all over her face and her eyes were closed, swollen. I lowered myself by her and looked at the necklace she was wearing. Avery and Justin’s names were both on it. I snatched it harshly from around her neck and threw across the wide room.

She doesn’t need that.

I got up just to notice Brandon coming in. He noticed Avery’s unconscious body and ran quickly to her side. His solemn expression was becoming filled with fury. “Damian,” He breathed. “I told you not to hurt her.” His eyes glared at me as he knelt down to her side.

I scoffed. “I didn’t need your permission. Just wake her up.” Kicking the side of her stomach, I made my way out of the room and into the hallway.

“Lauren?” I called, “Where are you?”

Lauren ambled down the hallway slowly. “What do we do now?” She asked, with a slight hint of hesitation in her voice.

My eyebrows furrowed and I grabbed her waist aggressively. “You’re not scared are you? She deserves this, Lauren.”

She nodded and sighed, “I know.”

“Good.” I snapped, pushing her away from me. “Now make sure Brandon wakes up her. I have shit to do.”

Brandon’s POV

My heart was beating out of my chest. All I could smell was the distinctive odor of blood. Avery’s face was swelling up and blood continuously dripped down her face. Her rib was probably broken and her family is probably worried sick. Agreeing to assist Damian in this plan was easier said than done but now that I’m here, I can’t do this to her. She’s innocent and she’s hopeless.

I walked over to one of the cabinets to find paper towels and snatched a warm water bottle off the counter. When I sprinted back over, I stepped on something sharp. I looked down to see a necklace. It was Avery’s. I quickly grabbed it and put it in my pocket.

I sat by Avery’s side again and wiped the blood off of her face lightly.

“What are you doing?” Lauren asked behind me.

I shrugged. “Nothing.”

She laughed. “Why do you even care? So what she has a bloody face, she can clean it herself right after I wake her up.” Suddenly, Lauren ran towards Avery’s body and kicked it repeatedly. “Wakey, wakey.”

I jolted up in an instinct and brutally pushed Lauren, her falling to ground. “What the hell!” She cried.

“Tell Damian I'm out.” I whispered in her face and grabbed Avery bridal style. I decided I’d escape this plan. I ran down flights of stairs. I wasn’t running fast since I didn’t want to drop her. I knew Damian was going to come after me. I knew he’d kill me if he caught on to what I was doing. I knew he’d kill me for hurting Lauren.

Reaching the last few stairs, I hurt a soft moan. I stopped and looked down to see Avery’s eyes fluttering open. “B-Brandon?”

I sat her on the stairs carefully, she winced in pain. “My side.” She held onto her ribcage and tears began to pour out of her eyes. “W-what’s going on?”

Avery was beginning to overwhelm. “Damian’s after you, I’m trying to get you out of here.”

“What?” She asked in confusion.

I sighed. “Damian is after you, he took you from your own house. He knocked you out, you don’t remember anything. Believe me right now.”

“Brandon!” A demonic voice growled from the top of the stairs.

“Damian.” She cried out silently.

“We need to go now!” I yelled and took her hand as she ran behind me.

We ran down the last few stairs, hearing gun shots hitting the steps behind our footsteps. “He has a gun!” Avery cried.

“Just keep running!” I told her.

Avery and I ran outside, trying to reach the most public place as possible. It felt as if every step we took, the world was slowing down and a dead end was the only thing ahead of us. We ran down the sidewalks of the street, sprinting as cars sped past us. Avery cried, while clutching her stomach. She was running lopsided and I knew she was in pain and couldn’t keep running for long. I turned my head watching as Damian was a block away, shooting at us.

“Avery,” I panted. “You have to keep running okay? I’m going to talk to him.” 

Her head immediately turned my way. “You’re not leaving me!” She yelled, taking my hand and running faster.

“I-“ 

“No!” She cut me off. 

"Avery!” Damian screamed through the distance.

 He started shooting again, bullets rapidly hitting the trees or light poles we ran past. I ran faster along with Avery trying to keep going. My legs were beginning to give out. I dug into my pocket and reached my cell phone, handing it to Avery. “Call,” I breathed hastily. “Someone.”

 I looked into her eyes for a brief second and saw the darkest, brown eyes I’ve ever seen her wear. They were almost black, they were empty, full of fright. She looked down at the phone and began to dial numbers.

 Another bullet was shot but this time, it didn’t miss.

 Bulls-eye

_______________

I hope you liked this chapter :)))