Chapter 21: Absa-shucken-lutly

It was about 9 months since they stepped foot onto the island they called home. Vince had adopted a Glade Tradition; once a month on a Friday they would hold a big community Bonfire. Snacks and drinks for the older ones and special drinks for the younger ones, marshmallow roasting, music and dancing. Alex always looked forward to these. This evening Vince had something special planned. There was something huge hidden under a big tarp.

____________________

"Come on Alex! Just wear the shuck dress!" Sonya fummed.

"I don't wear dresses...they show...too many scars!" Alex protested, folding her arms.

"Wear the damn dress woman!" Brenda yelled from across the room.

"But I don't wanna!" She whined, flopping down onto the bed, throwing an arm over her face.

"You will wear it or I'll force you into it!" Kenzie threatened.

"Wear it, ya Stick!" Harriet yelled coming out of the bathroom, pointing a toothbrush threateningly at Alex.

"Please Alex? It's one night, and Vince had some big plan. Come on! What's the harm?" Teresa asked, her smile was sweet and innocent.

She walked over and pulled her arm. Brenda and Sonya came over and helped pull her up.

In the end, Alex wore the dress and reluctantly let Teresa and Sonya wash and brush her hair until it was silky. Alex didn't really want to admit it, but she felt pretty. It was a lower cut neckline, then she was used to; showing off many of her scars, and her dragon tattoo and the back was cut deep too, showing off her big tattoo down her spine. Her arrows and paw print tattoos on her sides would peek out if she raised her arms and twisted. The colour of the dress made her red hair stand out and made her hazel eyes pop.

________________

Once the fire was roaring, drinks were passed out, Vince climbed up onto a big rock and addressed the community gathered around him.

"It's been 9 long months of planning, and organizing. We have come a long way together, look what we have accomplished!"

He spread his hands wide, looking around at the people. "So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible. Your friends and your family." He raised his jar into the air.

"So here's to the ones who couldn't be here. Here's to the friends we lost. This place is for you. It's for all of us. But this.." he motioned to the huge thing behind him, "this is for them."

He pulled the tarp down, revealing a huge stone that rose into a point in the air. 

"So, in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace." He raised a knife and chisel and placed them down beside the rock. "And welcome to the Safe Haven." He raised his jar. The crowd cheered.

Alex raised her jar, and cheered as well. She took a sip of her drink and went to sit at the edge of the crowd, lost in her melencoly thoughts. She saw a few Gladers make their way down to carve a name or two.

For you Chuckles...Matt...my troublesome trio. Alby..my grouchy Admiral Alby, Uncle Alby. I miss your wisdom, kindness and unwavering support. Jeff and Clint..I miss your friendship, your kindness, my work buddies. Padro, Winston, Zart, Adam, A.J, Leo...this is for you! I'm alive and here because of you. Thank you for your sacrifice.

She was interrupted when a small hand grabbed hers. Alex looked around and saw Chloe holding her hand. She had tears running down her face. Little Raegan was beside her, also crying.

"What's wrong, loves?" Alex asked as she knelt down in front of the girls.

"Can you come with me? I can't do it alone." She sniffed, pointing to the rock. Alex smiled sadly at her.