Track Sixty Six - Koi Ladki Hai

Previously On...
Armaan & Riddhima spend time together. She tells him why she had to marry Sid. They warn Tamanna off.

Armaan leant against the car, watching others mingle. They'd just reached the Lonavala Orphanage for its 30th anniversary celebration. The moment Riddhima had stepped out of the car, she'd been swarmed by the kids. Slowly, the others had entered into the fold too, while Armaan stood back, watching. It seemed like a lifetime ago when he was at the centre of that gaggle of kids. With all the time that had passed, most of the kids who knew him had left the orphanage, making their way forward in life. The few younger ones who remained… He didn't think they'd remember him now. 

It felt weird, coming back here after so long. He had never felt so alien in these surroundings ever before. Not even on his first visit. But maybe it was because he was here after so long that he felt this way… Like he'd lost a part of himself in all this time away. The kids here had always had a special place in his heart and he'd missed them. It hurt him to know that there were many who he might not be able to meet ever again. Riddhima had told him that they were all invited for the party, but he knew that not everyone would be able to make it, busy with their lives as they might be.

As he looked around, taking in the surroundings once again, he was accosted with memories at every turn. This place had been so important to him. He'd spent so many beautiful moments with Riddhima in these gardens. It seemed like a lifetime ago when they'd come here together. He'd been so brazen with his affections then, even when he wasn't sure if she returned his feelings. He'd also been very vocal about his dislike during one such visit, when the distance between them seemed too large to overcome in the matter of a lifetime. Little had he known then, that some ink thrown on his face and a rude, vulgar remark made in the heat of the moment, would be the least of his worries when it came to his relationship with Riddhima. Or that it would not matter that he had deceived her by posing as a woman, spending the entire night watching her sleep like a stalker, the love he felt for her expanding in his chest, enough that he felt it would spill out of him because how was he supposed to handle so many feelings within his body? A lifetime ago, he decided. But maybe, it was not a bad thing. He now had a new lease on life, time to do things he had never dreamt possible. The thought made him smile, even as he still mourned the time he had lost, even as he knew he would not change a thing about that past. 

As the kids slowly started getting busy with the others, Riddhima turned to look at Armaan, to see that he was lost in another world. It didn't take a genius to guess that he was probably reminiscing. After all, this place was equally special to her, and she could understand what he was feeling. Wasn't she feeling something similar? While she'd been here plenty of times in Armaan's absence, it wasn't the same. She hadn't even realized when she'd started associating the orphanage with Armaan. Not having him by her side when she visited had always gutted her. But now, he was here. She wouldn't let him get out of her sight if she could help it.

With that in mind, she walked back to him and leant on the car beside him, slowly snaking her arm around his and taking his hand. Her touch startled him and he turned, looking at her with wet eyes that pierced her heart. "I missed so much," he murmured.

"You don't have to anymore," Riddhima told him. "You're here now. That's what matters."

"The kids…" He sighed.

"They'll be here," she replied firmly. "They will. They won't miss a chance to see their favourite Armaan Bhaiya once more."

Armaan laughed without humour. "Do they even remember me? It's been so long!"

"Of course they do," Riddhima said. "How could they not? They remember you."

She'd made sure of that. Whenever she visited, she'd sit with the kids, chatting about their lives. When they asked about hers, she would always mention Armaan. They would reminisce about all the fun they'd had with him. Most of the time, the kids were able to rope her into a football match with them after those stories. It had been years since Riddhima had played basketball. Maybe not since she'd challenged Sid that one time. And she hadn't started playing again, not even for the kids. For her, the game was synonymous with Armaan. Whenever she thought of it, she remembered Armaan's cocky grin as he thought he was besting her when in reality he was not. She remembered how he'd call her Basket. And then, she'd remember how she'd forbidden him to call her that. Still nursing that heartbreak, she had never found the courage to play again.