1

this is it. my first day of high school.

a few weeks ago, my dad got a new job back here in milton keynes. when i was 5 we moved to new york for my dads work from mk.

now we're back and i'm ready to start the next part of my life.
well i'm not ready. in fact i'm completely totally shitting it.

i stood in the living room as my mum took about a hundred photos for her facebook.

"alright mum that's enough" i groaned. if she doesn't stop soon i'm going to miss my bus.

"alright sweetheart have a great day" she said. she hugged me and kissed my head before i left the house.

i walked the 5 minutes to the bus stop and waited there.

the bus soon arrived and i got on. it wasn't a very long journey, possibly 15 minutes.

i got out and walked through the school gates into the massive building. i felt nervous. i started picking at the skin on my fingers around my nails and went inside.

year 7s were directed towards the assembly hall. they called out different form tutor classes, which we know from a letter they sent a while ago.

i went to my form class and sat down near the back. the teacher was nice. she did the register and then gave out timetables.

today i have maths, music, english, history and religious studies. great.

the bell went and i went to my first class. i got lost so i was a bit late to the lesson.

"sorry i'm late" i mumbled quietly as i walked in.

"it's alright go sit over there" he said. i went and sat in the only empty chair in the class room.

he went through some expectations and what we will be doing over the first half term.

he gave us some worksheets and told us to do them.

"your allowed to talk but very quietly." he said.

i got my pen out and started answering the questions.

"so what's your name?" the boy next to me asked.

"izzy, what's yours?" i asked.

"im jack. where are you from, you've got an accent" he said. i never thought i had an accent. possibly very light but in america people always made fun of my english accent.

"erm i was born here but moved to america when i was 5 and then i moved back here a few weeks ago" i said.

"that's cool, did you like it there" he asked.

"honestly not really. people there aren't very nice and i guess it never really felt like home." i said.

"that's nice, well not nice but you know what i mean. welcome back. hope you like it here more than there" he said.

"thanks" i smiled.

i carried on doing my work and then was tapped on the arm by a pen.

"what did you get for question 1" jack asked.

"erm 8" i said.

"me too" he said while writing the answer down.
"what about 2"

i laughed and showed him my paper. he scribbled down the answers and thanked me.

"do you want a sweet" he asked, showing me a packet of starburst.

"go on then" i said. he gave me a purple one (the best flavour)