chapter 5

Eight A.M. Wednesday, September 1st 1971

Kings Cross

"Please, I'm sorry, Tuney, I'm sorry! Listen- " lily caught petunia's hand and held tight to it, even though Petunia tried to pull it away. "Maybe once I'm there-no, listen, Tuney! Maybe once I'm there, I'll be able to go to Professor Dumbledore and persuade him to change his mind!"

"I don't- want- to- go!" said Petunia, and she dragged her hand back out of her sister's grasp. "You think I want to go to some stupid castle and learn to be a–a...you think I want to be a–a freak?"

Lily's eyes filled with tears as Petunia succeeded in tugging her hand away. "I'm not a freak," said Lily. "That's a horrible thing to say."

"That coming from you!? Have you forgotten all the times you called y/n a freak? And besides, that's where you're going," said Petunia with relish. "A special school for freaks. You and that Snape boy . . . weirdos, that's what you two are. It's good you're being separated from normal people. It's for our safety."

Lily glanced toward her parents, who were looking around the platform with an air of wholehearted enjoyment, drinking in the scene. Then she looked back at her sister, and her voice was low and fierce. "You didn't think it was such a freak's school when you wrote to the headmaster and begged him to take you."

"Beg? I didn't beg!"

"I saw his reply. It was very kind."

"You shouldn't have read— " whispered Petunia, "that was my private—how could you—? That boy found it! You and that boy have been sneaking in my room!"

"No—not sneaking— Severus saw the envelope, and he couldn't believe a Muggle could have contacted Hogwarts, that's all! He says there must be wizards working undercover in the postal service who take care of— "

"Apparently wizards poke their noses everywhere! Freak!" she spat at her sister, and she walked off to where her parents stood with y/n.

But y/n wasn't paying attention to that. She was thinking of how Lily practically begged Petunia to speak with her and didn't even spare a glance in her direction.

That's how it's always been, She thought. Lily only ever cared about petunia