chapter 4

5 A.M. Tuesday, August 10th 1971

Y/n sat in the willow tree watching the clouds roll by, watching the stars that were still visible slowly disappear as the sun went up. Watching the way the dark bluish black turns to pink-orange which turns to light blue. Watching the sun slowly lighting up the sky.

Later that day the Evans were going to shop for Lily's witchy stuff in a place called Diagon alley which, as far as y/n knew, wasn't a place. So when her watch beeped telling her it was 7:30 she jumped down and went inside to shower before everyone else woke up.

~~~

In London lily was leading them, her letter told her where to go. So when she walked into an old pub they followed.

"What next?" Mrs. Evans asked.

"It doesn't say."

Huffing, y/n walked to the front up to the barkeeper.

"Excuse me, my older sister's a muggleborn, whatever that is, and her letter doesn't say how to get into Diagon alley." she said, not quite sure what diagon ally was either

"I was just about to leave, I'll show your family." said the lady sitting a few seats away.

She walked back to Lily and her parents (petunia had gone to cora's house) and told them she got help to get in.

"C'mon."

"It's simple, count three up two across, three up two across, three up two across. That brick you tap with your wand." and she taped it then suddenly the wall opened up into an archway.

Y/n decided she loved Diagon alley, not that she would ever tell anyone.

It was wonderful, there were people everywhere doing magic and having fun.

"Ok lily, what's on the list."

"Here." She handed Mrs. Evans the list.

y/n looked over her shoulder to see the list.

First-year students will require:
Uniform
Three Sets of Plain Work Robes (Black)
One Plain Pointed Hat (Black) for day wear
One Pair of Protective Gloves (dragon hide or similar)
One Winter Cloak (Black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all student's clothes should carry name-tags at all times.
Books
The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Top-tear Protection: Defending yourself from evil by Liviena Humdinger
Other Equipment
1 Wand
1 Cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set of glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set of brass scales
Students may also bring an Owl, a Cat, a Rat or a Toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS.

"thats a lot" mr. evans said after the list was handed to him

~~~

The family walked into the last store. Ollivanders. Lily still needed a wand. "Excuse me?"

"Hold out your arm." said an old man who appeared seemingly out of nowhere.

She held out her arm and a measuring tape started measuring her as the old man walked away.

He came back with a few boxes, opening one he handed her the wand. "Well give it a wave." It shaders a vase "Nope." Three wands later and still no luck. "Hmmm, maybe." He handed her a wand. She shivered.

"This wand is 10 1⁄4" long, made of willow, with a dragon heartstring core, swishy and good for charms. Take care of your wand. That's seven galleons."

"Thank you." She paid him and they left.