Missing Heart- Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-five

    Marcus paced back and forth in his majesty’s living room. His laptop had not stop him from constantly trying to figure out why. Why would someone do that to his beloved? The one he came up with made no sense. Lady Gwenith was guarded constantly and couldn’t have done this. Even her father would not dare do such a thing to harm Diana. Then who? And why?

    His highness had been dealing with the clearing of their guest suite. He could even hear the King talking to people in his personal study. The doors of which were closed tightly so Diana wouldn’t be disturbed.

    The kittens had been going back and forth between Diana and Marcus. Right now they were with her. Guarding her. Sniffing around just in case there was something not right. Curled up with her while she slept to sooth her. They too were trying to keep busy.

    The moment Diana’s breathing changed, the kittens were off the bed and bounding to Marcus. They were jumping up and down meowing for his attention. They had a rhythm to get him to notice them. Once they did have his attention, they were off to Diana with Marcus following close behind.

    Diana rolled onto her back and took a deep breathe. Then she remembered what happened. She shot straight up and then promptly swayed. Wonderful hands gripped her upper arms to keep her upright. She knew by the touch that it was Marcus. But even he couldn’t stop the world from spinning around her and her head feel so light.

    Marcus lowered Diana back to the bed as she held a hand over her head. He was grateful that the doctor had found that she was fine. That she had not caused herself to become sick with the stress of having a spider on her. Marcus knew how much she hated them and how terrified she becomes when one is even near her.

    “You’re fine my love. There are no more spiders. The kittens bravely took care of the one that touched you.” He wanted to add that they were heros, but didn’t want to tell Diana why. He was afraid of her reaction. He needed to keep her calm for longer.

    She opened her eyes and looked over to the kittens who sat so perfectly still next to her. She smiled at them and lifted her hand to pet them. They both helped her as they rubbed themselves up and down her hand. Marcus and Diana laughed lightly at them. They were just so perfect.

    After a moment. Diana’s eyes took in where she was. She scrunched her forehead. “I did not need to be brought to Nathaniel’s chambers. It was just a spider.”

    Marcus sighed. He couldn’t keep everything from her. He took her hand in his and brush the back of his fingers of his other hand over her cheek. “Actually we did. It wasn’t just a spider, but a black widow. You could have been poisoned by it if the kittens hadn’t acted when they did. His majesty is seeing to the search and removal of all the flowers from our room. He’s also decided that the nobles aren’t to send anymore. The ones that will be in our room shall be searched before they are placed in there.”

    “A b-black widow?” Diana swallowed hard as shivers ran down her whole body. She knew they were one of the deadliest spiders. “How?”

    Marcus placed both his hands on her cheeks. “We think it was in with one of the floral arrangements. We don’t exactly know which one it could have been.”

    “Actually we do.” Both Diana and Marcus looked to see his highness at the doorway of his own room. His face was solemn as he looked to Diana. “The bouquet that you were holding contained a small box. The spider must have come out while you held it in your hands.”

    Diana’s breathe caught as she stared wide eyed at his majesty. Marcus looked to Diana and tried to calm her. It hurt his heart that someone tried this. Their actions had duel purpose he believed. To frighten his beloved if not kill her.