𝐽𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑀𝑒𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑒𝑒𝑡 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛?

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 3
𝐍𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐚 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐈𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐑𝐨𝐲

"Why are you up so early?" Payal asks, rubbing her eyes as the bright light wakes her up.

"Today is Monday, I have to go to the Shiv Mandir," I reply, drying my hair.

"But you're grounded," Payal says, stretching her arms and yawning.

"I will just go and return, don't make too much noise," I say. Payal shrugs her shoulders and flops back onto the bed.

I wear a white kurta and apply kala tika. Quietly, I tiptoe toward the door without making a sound.

"Good morning," I flinch at the sudden voice. I turn around and see Ramu Kaka watering the plants.

"Good morning, Kaka," I say as I continue walking.

"Where are you going?" he stops me in my tracks.

"To the temple," I speak and start walking again.

"No, Nahi jah Sakti Dadu neh mana Kiya Hai!," he stops me again, spreading both of his arms.

"Kaka, I'm only going to the temple, Dadu won't know, and he knows I go to Shiv Mandir every Monday," I reassure him.

"Sachi, Sapat Kaka, I will bring ladoos for you and we'll eat them together," I promise, pinching my neck. He slowly lowers his arms and lets me go.

"Thank you, Kaka," I run as fast as I can.

"Mahadev, I'm doing all this to come to your temple," I think to myself as I look at the dark skies, with stars blinking.

"Fresh Fresh hawa," I take a deep breath of the clean air and feel renewed all over. As I stroll along the quiet road, I notice some cars passing by, elderly people heading to the temple, younger people heading to school and college, and an uncle selling newspapers.

It takes me ten minutes to walk to the Shiv Mandir. I buy Pooja ki Samagri and go to the temple.

"Om namah Parvati pataye har har Mahadev," I chant and pray in front of my Bholenath. Sitting still in front of the shivlinga, I feel a sudden burst of energy in me. I give Baba a final smile and bow one last time before leaving.

"Chacha, Puppies Kaha gaye?" I ask the vendor uncle who sells flowers here, applying tilak on my forehead.

He replies, "They were taken for sterilization and vaccination." I nod in understanding, wave goodbye, and leave.

I have to buy ladoos for Kaka. I go to the Meethai shop and purchase ladoos for Kaka and myself.

🪷

"Nisha, help me carry these," Parama Maa calls from the kitchen. I close my book and head to the kitchen.

"Payal and Mina still haven't woken up?" she asks, glancing upstairs. I shake my head.

"Nisha," Badi Maa calls me. I look back at her.

"Has Pooja talked to you? Did she message?" Her worry is evident, missing her daughter more than anything. In denial, I shake my head, and her expression shifts back to sadness.

"Badi Maa, I need to tell you something," I say, placing the trays next to me.

"Pooja has a boyfriend, and she ran away with him," Badi Maa scowls at me before her expression softens into sadness.

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asks, her face tense.

"Badi Maa, I found out just yesterday, and so much happened that I couldn't understand anything," I explain, and she continues to shake her head while sitting in the chair.