𝑂𝑛𝑒 𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑘 𝑜𝑓 𝐻𝑒𝑟𝑠

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 7

Satisfied with the saree she finds, Nisha stands in front of her makeup table and tries the saree on over her shoulder. She feels a warmth upon realizing that the saree is her mother's.

The sweet moments she shared with her mother flash before her eyes, and she remembers her words, her lullabies, and even her scolds.

"I miss you, Mumma,"
Her eyes get wet, and her vision blurs.

"Chalo, ready hote hain."
After wiping away her tears, she begins applying makeup.

Applying subtle makeup such as kajal, curling her lashes, tinting her lips, and adding blush, she completes her look with open, wavy hair and a kala tika between her brows.

Heading towards her bed, she picks up the saree and begins to drape it over the petticoat, securing it in place.

Next are the jewels. Not wanting to make the look overdressed, she wears jhumkas, a nose ring, bangles, a ring, and payal.

She admires herself in the mirror before placing a kala tika behind her neck.

"Let's go,"
Nisha whispers and locks her room behind her. Heading downstairs.

"Badi Maa, mein ja rahi hoon,"
After saying so, Nisha walks away.

📖

Her boss and other people call her while she is traveling because they need her, but she is stuck in a terrible traffic jam and has to maneuver her scooter through small gaps.

"Oh my god, who keeps ringing my phone?"
Nisha peeks at her phone and sees Reyansh calling her.

"What happened?"
Informally, she states. Reyansh on the other side pushes his phone. His ear rings as the pitched voice speaks.

"Calm down, I just called to ask you where you are. Everyone's here,"
From the other side, Reyansh utters. To talk on her cell, Nisha parks her scooty on the side.

"I might be a little late, there's so much traffic jam,"
Reyansh nods and informs Nisha that it is okay to take her time.

"Are, koi help karo,"
Nisha's gaze drops to an elderly Dadi Maa who is lying on the ground. A few of her vegetables and grocery bags are crushed by passing cars when they fall onto the road.

"Dadi Maa,"
Nisha rushes and, with other people's assistance, gets her up on her feet.

"Mein deti hoon,"
Nisha kneels and starts to gather shattered vegetables from the ground.

"Dadi Maa, aayiye mein aapko ghar chhod doon,"
Dadi declines a man's offer and sits on a bench along the sidewalk.

"Nahi beta, mein chali jaungi, aap log fikra mat kijiye,"
Dadi assures she's fine. Everyone goes back to their cars, and soon the jam starts to loosen.

🪷

When I arrive at the location nearly thirty minutes late, I am immediately questioned about why. I scan the area with my eyes, hoping to recognize someone.

"Oh my gosh, look at you, gorgeous lady!"
Aayusha, one of my colleagues, approaches and checks me out from head to toe.

"Ajj toh tu ekdam sexy lag rahi hai,"
she says, spinning me around.

"Kitne ladko ko fidda karegi ajj tu?"
I give her an eye roll in response.

"I am not interested in making anyone fidda, okay,"
I say as I enter.

[Ha, of course, jisko fidda hona hai woh toh pura hi ladoo hoga.]

"Nisha,"
Aviraaj calls out, and I smile as he walks toward me.