Chapter 14

Lucas' POV

"I got the job!" I grinned as I walked out from the back and into the bakery where Maya was waiting.

She looked up from her nails and smiled. "Great!"

She got up from the chair just as I reached her and without thinking, I hugged her. I don't know why, but I just had to.

Maya seemed taken aback but them she put her arms around my waist as well. I pulled back.

"I don't feel like going back. How about an ice cream?" I suggested.

"Sure," she nodded and we walked out of the store.

Things with me and Maya were a lot less awkward than I thought they would be. We hadn't talked about what had happened in the past.

And I was quite glad we were avoiding it. Thinking of it makes me ashamed of how immature I was back then to want to hurt her back.

I knew that her and Fred was an accident. But I was just so angry, both at Fred and at Maya, that I wanted her to feel the hurt that I'd felt that day.

I'd already forgiven her long ago but I wasn't sure if she had forgiven me.

We reached the ice cream stand. There was a queue. Not a surprise, since it was a hot day.

"I'd like a straw-"

"Strawberry," I finished. "I know, Maya."

She blushed. How cute. I got myself a vanilla cone and paid for both our ice creams. We started walking back.

Oakhaven was small. There was really no need for a car here to get anywhere. There was the town, where we are now, then there's all the summer houses with the beach right nearby. There's a church as well but I'm not sure if people actually go.

The last time I checked there were 78 houses here. But the last time I checked was a bunch of years ago.

I really liked this place, honestly. It was like a small summer escape that was just so peaceful and quiet. A lot of people didn't even know about it.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Maya spoke up.

"Oh, nothing." I shrugged. "Just... stuff."

I looked at her out of the corner of my eye. She was slightly ahead of me, so she probably wouldn't notice.

Maya was so pretty.

"I can see you, you know," Maya laughed.

"See me what?"

"Looking at me."

"Oh." Caught.

She laughed again. Adorable.

"So..." I tried to think of something to talk about. "Are you going for Jade's party?"

Maya made a face and stuck out her tongue.

"Still don't like her?"

"Never did and never will," she answered and took another lick of her ice cream. A strong wind blew Maya's hair towards her face and she pulled them out of her mouth.

Then she made another face.

Yup, I still liked Maya.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

I was thinking, do you want to see more of Farkle and Riley?

Thanks for reading!! ☺☺☺