Chapter 27

Maya's POV

"Well..." Lucas looked down sheepishly. "That was a really long time ago."

I laughed. "What did you mean 'the real you'?"

I saw Lucas' facial expression change. He turned away from me.

"Lucas?"

"What? Oh that...yeah I was just kidding around trying to be dramatic," he laughed awkwardly. "It was nothing. How did you find it anyway?"

"Auggie dug it up."

Lucas nodded. He turned back to face me and cupped my face in his hands before leaning down to kiss me. Soft and gentle.

"I really, really don't want you to go," he sighed and I leaned my head on his chest.

"Neither do I," I admitted.

We probably wouldn't be leaving for a few more days, since I injured my arm. I only had a few more days with Lucas. I had no idea when I would see him again after that. We lived too far away from each other.

Lucas and I agreed that there was no point trying to fall asleep. We left the house without anyone hearing. Seems like Lucas had done this quite a bunch of times before.

Lucas' POV

I always used to go out at night when everyone else was sleeping. I would wall down to the dock and stand there, just staring at the lake. The dock was around fifteen minutes away but I didn't want to bring Maya too far.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

"Do you mind walking?"

She shrugged. "Not really."

I intertwined my hand with hers and we started walking to the dock. It was so quiet, such a peaceful night.

"I love this place," Maya spoke up.

I smiled down at her. "Me too."

I really did. It was a small down but it was like the perfect summer getaway. We came here every year and I knew my way around everywhere. The park, the beach, the dock, and there were so many more families staying here.

"Hey! Lucas!" I heard a voice behind me.

Jade.

She waved and started walking closer. That's when she saw Maya holding my hand.

"Wow. Um...I didn't know that you guys were um..."

Maya held on to my hand tighter.

"Anyway! So have you made up your mind about my party this Saturday?"

"Well we don't -" Maya began but I cut her off.

"We'd love to come."

She glared up at me.

Jade smiled. She was wearing a tiny black crop top and tiny shorts. "See you there then!"

Jade walked off after blowing us an air kiss. Well, technically she was looking at me while she did but Maya didn't have to know that.

"Why did you do that?" Maya hissed.

"Just give her a chance Maya. It's just a party. And Jade's not so bad."

"Hey..." Jade turned around and called again. "One more thing. Lucas, could you help me post some renting flyers tomorrow? I'm supposed to, but well, I can't be bothered."

"Renting...flyers?"

"Yeah. We have two extra rooms because my dad can't stay for the rest of the summer. And...we figured that we could let someone else stay instead of leaving them empty."

"Oh....sure," I shrugged. "Just pass them to me tomorrow."

It wasn't a surprise that Jade was extremely lazy.

"She totally has a crush on you," Maya rolled her eyes.

"Jealous?" I asked before pulling her closer. We went a bit further before Maya started complaining that she was tired.

By the time we reached back, she was almost asleep. I brought her back up to her room and made sure she slept in her bed. Riley was still fast asleep.

I went back to my room.

"You really need to stop sneaking out at night," Farkle was waiting with his arms crossed.