Chapter 25

Maya's POV

I slammed the door of the car shut. Tears were welling up in my eyes. I actually didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay here. I wanted to be with Lucas and Riley and Farkle.

"Mum please don't make me do this," I pleaded one last time.

"Maya, you have to see your dad."

"I thought he was dead."

"Maya!"

I folded my arms in the backseat. I refused to look out and wave at them. The last person on earth I wanted to see was my dad. After everything he did to us and left us.

Mum came to tell me he was back. She'd actually seemed happy. I had no idea why he was back but I'm pretty sure it's not because he still loves us. My dad used to hit my mum when he got drunk and came back late. I used to sit in my room and cry, listening to her scream and knowing I couldn't do anything about it.

And one day he left us. We woke up in the morning and he was gone. He hadn't taken any of his stuff or the car, he just sorta disappeared. And nobody knew why.

Honestly, I didn't miss him at all.

Now he has a new place. If we went back, we would move there. Or he would move back.

My mum was struggling to start the car. It was probably a sign that we shouldn't be going back.

"Maya..." Lucas came up to the window.

I lowered it for him.

"I'm going to miss you." He said. I couldn't say anything. I stared into his eyes. I couldn't do this.

As my mum started the car and we took off, I saw Lucas getting further and further away . I didn't want to leave him and I sure as heck didn't want to go back to my dad.

I opened the door without thinking. I hadn't expected us to be going so fast.

I fell out onto the road. Immediately, an unbearable pain shot up my left arm.

"Maya!"

------

I woke up in the hospital. Or at least, I assumed it was a hospital as it smelt like medicine and the walls were all white. My left arm was in a cast.

I looked around and saw Riley.

"She's awake!" Riley said and went to the door.

Topanga and Cory came in.

"Maya..." Topanga came forward and hugged me. She looked at my arm in a cast and shook her head. "Does it hurt?"

I blinked. It all came back to me. How my mum came to bring me home and I got out of the car and fell.

"What happened? After I fell?" I asked, clutching my head.

"Well, we saw your arm stuck in a weird position and brought you to the city hospital."

We were in the city?

"Where's my mother?" I asked.

Topanga looked around. "Um, she...she'll be here soon. She's making a call to your...your father."

I rolled my eyes.

The door opened again. "Is Maya okay?" It was Lucas.

I found myself smiling.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

So her dad returning was sort of supposed to be a plot twist.

How's the book so far? I'm thinking of writing another one but I don't think I can handle it :/