Chapter 35

Lucas' POV

The door opened and Maya and I spun around. It was Jade, along with...Cory.

"Cory?" Maya asked.

"Thank God you both are okay," he walked into the room. "It's past 11.30. We thought something had happened to you. Riley and Farkle said that they looked everywhere for you before leaving but they couldn't find you. And neither of your cellphones are on."

He folded his arms and stared at the both of us, with a stern look on his face. And then I noticed his eyes soften, as he probably realised we had a rough night.

"Sorry," Maya muttered, looking down.

Cory sighed. "We're going home. Both of you have a lot of explaining to do."

~~

Once we were done explaining everything, it was almost 1 in the morning. We figured there was no point in lying so I told Cory the whole truth. How I got carried away with drinking and how Maya saw me and Jade together and misunderstood. And so did Maya. I think.

After Cory gave us a lecture and told us he was going to call our parents, it was almost 2. He was starting to sound like a teacher. Well, to be fair, he was a middle school history teacher.

He told us to go and sleep and that we would continue in the morning.

I grabbed Maya's hand the minute he left the room.

"I'm sorry," I sighed, staring at her beautiful blue eyes. I didn't want to lose her.

"I'm sorry too," she squeezed my hand.

"So..." I shifted in the couch awkwardly.

"I don't think this is going to work."

My eyebrows shot up. What? Had I just heard that right?

"Wh-what do you mean?"

Maya sighed and pulled her hand away from mine. She leaned forward, avoiding eye contact with me.

"We won't see each other till next summer. I don't think this long-distance thing is going to work."

"But we could try."

"Try what?"

"To make it work."

She shook her head slowly. "I don't know, Lucas," her voice cracked.

I moved closer to her and put my arm around her, pulling her towards me. She leaned onto my chest.

"Don't you see we're meant to be together, Maya?" I whispered into her hair, while my fingers played with random blonde strands hanging over her face.

She nuzzled closer and looked up at me. I leaned down and placed a kiss on her lips.

"I love you, too," she said the second we pulled away.

I was taken aback at first, and then I felt a grin tugging at the corners of my mouth, remembering what I'd told her earlier.

"Then stay," I said, almost pleading. I couldn't just let the girl I loved go and not see her for a year.

Although eventually we would all have to leave when summer was over, I wanted to spend my entire summer with her. It was just three more weeks.

Maya sighed again and got up, telling me she was going to shower and then go to bed.

I was left all alone in the living room, staring at the blank TV screen in front of me. I wasn't sleepy at all. So much stuff had happened tonight that my brain couldn't even register it.

I made sure that Cory and Topanga were asleep before I snuck out the door.

A/N

Hey guys, im really not sure how often i'll be able to update this book. i hope you understand that im really busy with school :/

i'll try my best to update once a week though, please be patient!!