Nine

Azriel didn't know why he'd said that.

He really didn't think her story would be this horrible. And he was certain this wasn't all of it.

He had left soon after Valery started a new conversation with Feyre, not feeling like he needed to be there. Azriel was making his way back to the House of Wind, planning on training with Cass later.

Life had been boring lately. Everyone's life had settled, except for his. Elain had finally accepted the mating bond with Lucien, so she more often stayed with him than in the Night Court. Mor was also more away than at home, but she was happy.

Amren was... just Amren. Rhys and Feyre were obviously still happy together. Same goes for Nesta and Cassian.

And Azriel, he was just existing.

Rhys had sent him on some missions. He had been training with the Valkyries. But still, life was boring.

Azriel walked into the House of Wind to find Nesta, Gwyn and Emerie sitting around the fire place in the living room of the House.

The three females were laughing, cups of hot tea in their hands. Nesta noticed Azriel's presence and gave him a small smile as a greeting.

"Where have you been?" he suddenly heard from behind him. Cassian was standing in the doorway, a wide grin on his face.

"At the River House." he answered.

Cassian hummed. "Rhysie told me about the new arrival." he said. "He just asked if she could stay here for a while."

Azriel stiffened. His shadows clearly liked what Cassian had just told him, because they again started saying her name.

Again and again and again.

"Come on, don't tell me you don't find her attractive." he said, earning a glare from both Azriel and Nesta.

Cassian only laughed while making his way over to his mate, sitting down next to her on the couch.

Nesta rolled her eyes and turned to Azriel. "Ignore him, he's been very annoying all day."

"Isn't he always?" Azriel grinned. "You should train him." he said.

Nesta snorted. "Doesn't work."

Cassian threw up his hands. "You two teaming against me is just mean." he said. "Straight up bullying." he muttered.

"Maybe you should behave better." Nesta said, giving her mate a playful glare.

Now Emerie and Gwyn were laughing. Azriel couldn't hide his smile at Nesta's words.

Cassian didn't fail to notice. "Don't laugh at her. It will encourage her to keep doing this to me." Which made them all laugh even harder.

Nesta's face had turned back to serious seconds ago, turning to Azriel. "So Cassian told me about Rhysand's new friend." she said with a smirk.

"Yes, and?" Azriel said.

"She sounds interesting." Nesta said, trying to get a reaction out of him.

Azriel kept a straight face. Valery certainly was interesting, but he wasn't going to give Nesta the satisfaction of him reacting.

He only hummed in response as he turned around to leave the room.

Catching up with Rhys had been great, but also tiring. Her friend had told her she could stay at the House of Wind.

She could obviously afford to get her own place. But now that Velaris was open to the public, she wasn't sure if she felt safe on her own.

She felt pathetic saying she didn't feel safe, that she was afraid. If she had said that same sentence to herself years ago, she would've laughed.

Valery was powerful enough to safe herself. She knew that. But her shadows had let her down before and it felt like they weren't obeying her at the moment. She wasn't going to risk it.

She could stay at the House for some time. Rhys probably wouldn't start asking questions about it. He would just think she was there to be with her old friend.

It was selfish of her to come here just for their protection. But Rhys didn't have to know that. She couldn't let him in like she had before. She couldn't let anyone in without getting hurt or hurting someone.

Maybe Amarantha had damaged her more than she would like to admit.