Thirty-three

Azriel silently entered the River House. He had missed dinner, but he still had a good hour to get ready for the evening.

It had taken him longer than expected with his spies, having some trouble on the way.

He had gotten every piece of information he needed, except for the one thing he had hoped to hear from. There was nothing on the three males. Like they had completely disappeared.

Azriel tried not to think about it too much.

Tomorrow would be Solstice, it was supposed to be a fun day. And not to forget, his annual snowball fight with his brothers was tomorrow morning.

Azriel soon finished dressing himself, looking representative again, making his way downstairs to find his family gathered in the living room of the River House.

Everyone was there, Rhys, Cass, Feyre, Nesta, Mor, Amren and...

There she was, leaning against the wall and talking with Amren. She looked absolutely breathtaking. She was so beautiful.

Valery's black dress had a deep V-neckline and a long slit that went up to her thigh. The dress was embroided with black details, the rest of it was made out of silk. The fabric hugged her body in all the right places before flowing out to long skirts.

Her long light brown hair was curled and fell down her back. She was wearing gold jewelry everywhere, like Amren always did. Her shadows were swirling around her more calm than he had expected.

He could make out all the places she kept her daggers and knives, and she really wasn't lying to Rhys when she had told him she would be armed to the teeth. In his eyes, it only made her look more attractive.

Valery finally noticed his gaze and smiled at him before turning back to her conversation with Amren.

"You're drooling." someone said from beside him.

He turned his head to find Cassian grinning widely at him. Azriel elbowed his brother hard enough to make him wince in pain.

"I mean, I get it." Cassian said. "She looks very good."

Azriel glared at him. "Don't let your mate hear it." Azriel snapped back.

Cassian chuckled. "Oh Nesta? Don't worry about her, she agrees with me. Well actually, I was the one to agree with her."

Azriel shook his head in disbelief. "Unbelievable."

Cassian chuckled again before patting him on the back. "Well, here she comes. Good luck."

He didn't have time to watch Cassian walk off before she was standing in front of him.

Azriel never really felt shy, but he definitely did now.

"You look good." she said softly enough for only him to hear.

Azriel felt his cheeks turn a bit red. "I can say the same about you." he said. "You look absolutely beautiful." he added.

Valery turned her eyes away from him. He didn't miss the small blush that stained her cheeks.

"Thank you." she said, looking at him again. They stared at each other for a few seconds. Valery opened her mouth to say something, but she was cut off by Rhys.

"Everyone ready?" he asked. They all nodded.

Rhys nodded, turning his attention on Valery. "You all know what to do and who you are tonight."

A second later, Valery grabbed Azriel's wrist and winnowed them away to the Hewn City.

Valery had to swallow back the nauseous feeling as she stepped out of the shadows in front of the Hewn City.