Under Fire

Seiryo's POV:

Firefighters and heroes started to show up, which is the first that I've seen since the war started.

A reoccurring thought has been circling through my head, over and over, and I can't get it out. I had to save people.

I was a hero in training, after all, we all were. Why weren't we serving the people? Why did we just run like lost sheep to and from places?

I wouldn't stand for this.

I grabbed Ryker by the shoulder and stopped him. He looked at me confused.

"We can't just sit around anymore," I told him. "We have to fight."

Ryker averted eye contact. He seemed to be more stressed, and I couldn't blame him; unintentionally, we all put our faith into him, making him our leader. If he went along with what I said and we died, he'd feel horrible. But I rather die fighting for justice then live knowing I didn't.

That's why we're heroes, right?

"I think you might be right," Ryker said. "But I also think you might be wrong."

"I know," I admitted. "But trust me. This is what heroes do."

There was a crash that was too close for comfort. A burnt and charred building with a piece of a balcony that broke into pieces on the ground.

I would've thought nothing of this until I heard the screams.

The screams of Toronto's own citizens!

My legs moved before they could think. Even when I heard the cries of my classmates like Akihito, Ryker, and Lolana, I still went. I still rant into the burning building.

The heat was nearly unbearable, and the smoke was suffocating. But I got a glimpse of three individuals hiding behind a desk.

I lifted them over my shoulder and proceeded to take them outside, making sure they were okay before I ran back in.

There couldn't have been many people, but I still heard screams. So I starting making my way up the stairs. But lights started falling and glass started shattering, and I could feel something paining me on my shoulder.

I looked over and saw a gash on my shoulder that I must've gotten from climbing the stairs. I winced but I didn't stop; I couldn't stop.

I tore down the door in front of me. Six more people were trapped, behind a large beam that must've fallen from the ceiling.

Most of them were on the floor, since smoke rose, which was smart. But it'd be hard to get them out.

I went to the right wall and punched it, watching it crumble and fall. The fall wouldn't be terrible, only a story high, and it's better than being burnt alive. I watched the beam slide down and hit the sidewalk outside, making an almost-ramp.

"Go!" I yelled, hoarsely. Despite the stress, they went, one at a time, down the beam to the safety of the unburnt ground.

I saw the room I was in crumbling, which was my sign to leave. But I couldn't help but hear more screams, more cries for help that I knew I had to answer.

I ran down the hallway, looking into multiple offices. I couldn't find anyone, and they didn't make another sound.

I looked into an office, and thought I saw someone, until I heard a snap. A burning piece of a ceiling blade fell and hit me right in the arm, and I felt a sting and throbs. But I didn't dare look. No matter how bad it was, I couldn't look.

The last office I looked into, I finally saw someone. They had blue hair and were hidden in the corner. "Hello?" I said, holding back a cough.

I didn't hear a voice, but I saw them raise their head and turn around.