26. Friend Zoned (Valentine's OS)

Happy February, my dear readers ❣ Keeping the tradition of celebrating Valentine's day on bikhre moti, here's your first gift of this year, quite a week early :)

--*--

Arnav and khushi were childhood friends. Their families were friends, their siblings were friends, heck even their grandmothers too were friends! So, it wasn't really a surprise these two were joined by their hips right from the moment they were in cradles! They went together to the same primary school, same secondary school and same high, went for the same sports and liked the same genre in movies- action and fantasy!

Not only good things, but they were also competitors in crime, as both were equally mischievous, both were spoilt, especially by the other's families and thus, they were always in some sort of a competition to prove to be the better one out of the two!

Amidst all this, there was one thing that everyone else was able to see, but these two were blissfully unaware of it. And that was both were inseparable come what may, that there was a strong foundation of fondness behind all those childish wars!

And now as they were 19-year-olds, they stood on the threshold of youth, their 'romance sensors' started awakening! The only issue was, the sensors hadn't seen the one nearest to them, but everyone else!

The first spanner in their romance-hunt was thrown when no one was ready to believe when either Arnav or khushi asked someone out for a date. Especially where they studied, Singhania International high school and college. Almost everyone had the same reply while rejecting their 'generous' proposal. They would say to her "How can I take Arnav's girlfriend out on a date?" and girls giving him judgmental looks asked him, "But you are with khushi, aren't you?"

And Arnav and Khushi would feel like pulling their hair out!

"What do we do now, Motu?" He asked her one day. Motu, meaning chubby, was a sweet endearment that Arnav used for her since they were little as she was a healthy kid with chubby cheeks back then, contrary to her lean figure now.

Their common friends, Aman, Lavanya, and NK were around too and shared a glance as these two people were blind to see each other!

"I don't know Arvi. But I really want to have a boyfriend. All my friends have one." she said, pouting cutely. When they were little, she had found his name Arnav, too difficult to take at first, so she had nicknamed him Arvi and continued to call it that even now.

Aman chimed in playfully, "And Arnav needs to score now or at least have his first kiss!" and then patting on his shoulder sympathetically, he added, "Don't worry dude, if you don't get a girlfriend by this valentine's, I will kiss you." he said with a wink.

Arnav looked at him horrified and pushed himself away from Aman, "BT mat dein Aman, dur reh (Don't give me BT*, stay away)!"

Arnav got up and left, Khushi too got up and went in the opposite direction while their friends just kept looking at their retreating backs, thinking when would these two understand?

Dil kabhi ganda, Kabhi hai nek banda
Dil ka bharosa kaise koi kare
Dil kabhi Thanda, Kabhi hai atom bomb sa
Yeh dhamaka kaise koi sahe
Dil ki yahi khata hai, Dil ko nahi pata hai
Ki dil chahta hai kya

(Sometimes the heart is bad, Sometimes it's good
How can one trust the heart
Sometimes the heart is cold, Sometimes it's like an atom bomb
How can one bear this blast
This is the problem of the heart, The heart doesn't know
Exactly what it wants)