16.

Y/N POV

~~~~~~~~

It's been several days since Shattered was taken. Rasp is restless, Dream is stressed, and Nightmare won't talk to me. He's still mad because of the fight we had. I wish he would talk to me so we could work this out, but every time I try to apologize, he comes up with an excuse.

"Y/N?" Dream pokes his head into the room, and I look up. Bell is in bed, and when he sees her, he lowers his voice. "Can we talk?"

"Mhm." I nod and put my book away. "What is it?"

"Are you and Nightmare alright?"

I blink. "I- Why do you ask...?"

"He's been avoiding you, and he's been colder than he usually is, and I don't just mean figuratively." He looks at me oddly. "Did you two fight?"

I hesitate, then nod. "..Yeah. He doesn't want to save Shattered, and when I tried to tell him how similar the two are... He snapped, and now he won't let me apologize." I sigh and pull my knees up to my chest. "I just..."

"Why doesn't he want to save Shattered-?"

"He doesn't trust him."

"But he's changing."

"That's what I tried to tell him." I bury my head in my arms, and I feel a tear slide down my cheek. "I just want to tell him I'm sorry... I hate this. I hate being so far away from him."

"Do you want me to go get him?"

I sniffle. "...If he'll listen..."

Dream gets up and walks out of the room. I start crying softly, and I hope I don't wake up Bell. I wrap my blankets around me and don't hear the door open again, and I only look up when I feel someone sit beside me.

"What do you want?" Nightmare mutters, looking at the floor.

"I'm sorry." I whisper. "For what I said... I-"

"I don't want to hear it." He stands up. "I have things to do."

"Nightmare, please." I grab his hand, and he growls softly. The tears are falling faster now. "I'm sorry. Please.. Don't just walk away from me. Please."

"I don't want your apology." His voice grows colder.

"Then what do you want?" I look up at him pleadingly. 

"I want you to let go so I can get back to work."

I drag him down and push him into the sheets, pinning him to the bed. "You're staying here until you talk to me, Nightmare." I bury my head in his chest, sobbing. "I didn't mean to make you mad. I'm so sorry." I hug him tightly, trembling slightly. "I just want you to give Shattered a chance."

"I told you this. I-"

"Don't trust him." I finish. "I know. But if you'd give him a chance-"

"No." He snarls, and I flinch. "Get up. I have work to do, Y/N."

I grip his jacket tightly. "Please... I'm sorry... Just don't walk away... Please..."

He slips himself out from under me and walks away without another word. I hear Bell's quiet, newborn babbling, but I don't get up to get her. I curl up under the blankets, sobbing until I cry myself to sleep.

~~~~~~~~

I wake up to someone sliding into bed quietly. I roll over, still half asleep, and I bury my head in the crook of their neck. They grunt softly and hesitantly wrap an arm around me.