30.

Y/N POV

~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure what to do about Swad. He's not getting any better, mentally anyway. His wounds are healing pretty well, but Lav is worried his wing will never be able to be used again, but that's the least of our worries. Swad has gotten up and walked around camp several times now, acting like normal, except he still thinks I'm his partner, and even worse, he thinks Bell is his daughter, and I don't know how to tell him she isn't, because then he'll probably start freaking out. I feel like the sky has just fallen and I'm the only one who can hold it up, except the sky is Swad's mental state. I'm the only one keeping him sane. He tried to snap Nightmare's neck the other day just because Nightmare gave me a kiss in front of him. I suggested that maybe Lav should take him off the painkillers, but if he does, Swad becomes even worse. I'm worried he's addicted.

"Swad, no, you aren't going on patrol." Nightmare says firmly. I've asked him to just go along with whatever Swad says so maybe Swad will get better, but when Swad wants to go on patrol with me, he has to say no. Going outside and overworking himself is the last thing he needs.

"I feel fine." Swad growls, his eye lights glossy.

"Unless Lav says you're fine, you aren't fine. Go rest."

"Lav told me I'm fine. Now if you'll excuse me-" Swad steps closer to me. "I'm going out on patrol. With my partner."

"SHE IS NOT YOUR PARTNER, SWAD." Nightmare snaps, and I flinch as the room goes cold. "YOU ARE NOT PART OF DYNAMIC, YOU DO NOT HAVE A DAUGHTER, AND Y/N DOESN'T LOVE YOU. GO BACK TO LAV. NOW."

"What do you mean, she doesn't love me?" Swad blinks, looking confused. "Of course she loves me, right... Y/N...?"

I look at Lavender, who was summoned by Nightmare's yelling. He shakes his head violently, but I don't know what he wants me to do.

"Y/N...?"

"I... Um-" I start to panic. All I wanted was for Swad to get better, and instead, I've made everything worse. "L-Look, Swad, I-" I meet his gaze. He looks heartbroken. "S-Swad, I-"

"It's a yes or no question, Y/N." He whispers.

"I-"

Suddenly, Swad falls to the floor. Panic spikes through me, but then I realize it's just Dream, who seems to have knocked him out with his magic. He grabs Swad before he can hit the ground, then looks at me. I avoid his gaze, and he carries Swad back into Lav's room.

"Seriously?" Nightmare glares at me as soon as Dream is gone.

"What?" I look up at him warily.

"You should've said no." He growls. "We can't keep this up anymore. We need to be blunt with him. You just have to tell him, Y/N." He turns away. "...Unless you actually love him."

He swings the front door open and leaves with the patrol. I feel like I've just been stabbed in the heart. I can't stop the tears from falling, and I rest against the door, sliding to the ground. I bury my head in my arms, trying not to sob, but I fail miserably.

Someone sits beside me and wraps an arm around me. "He didn't mean it." Shattered murmurs, pulling me into a gentle hug. I sniffle and bury my head in his shoulder, sobbing. "We're all on edge, worried about Swad, Y/N. When all of this is over, things will get back to normal." He hesitates for a moment. "Maybe he's right. Maybe you should just tell him the truth. This is unhealthy for Swad."

"I- I just wanted what was best..." I sniffle.

"I know. And no one can blame you for that. But it's getting unhealthy."