50: The Meeting Part I

Rhysand

I hated the Mountain Palace.

Leur and I had spent half of our childhood within its crystalline halls. The other half was spent in the House of Wind. But the house carved into the mountaintops of Velaris had since been reclaimed, hundreds of years of memories with my Inner Circle drowned out the echoes of my parents screaming and fighting, of holding my hands over Leur's ears so she would not have to hear. The Mountain Palace had never been reclaimed. The only new memories I had here were the years of visits to the Hewn City, which weren't pleasant, and those few weeks Feyre had visited when she was still with Tamlin.

Also, not pleasant.

I rounded a corner and saw my mate, all sunken cheeks and hollow stares, reading a book in a plush lounge chair. Another glance left, and I remembered Majda resetting Leur's arm after our father had broken it.

I had a feeling today might wind up on my list of unpleasant memories in this place.

Feyre had come up with the wonderful idea that we should drop the act. She wanted us to appear as we were, no more lies, no more secrets- which was particularly ironic considering we were not going to say anything about the fact that my sister had come back from the dead and was hiding in Azriel's shadows, or that my mate had taken a drop of power from each of them. I had spent all night readying myself, and I still didn't expect just how vulnerable I felt. I felt as if they could all see right through me, straight down to the fear that lingered in the back of my throat as I welcomed High Lord after High Lord into my home. My wings ruffled uncomfortably as I did so, fighting back to urge to let them disappear, to hide who I truly was.

I think our father might have been raised from the dead with how many times he has rolled over. Leur's voice echoed in my head.

Good. I hissed back, I hope he rolls right the fuck out of it.

It was strange to speak to her without being able to see her, no sign of her despite the marbled shadows being hidden in the darkness of the room by some careful positioning from Azriel.

Stop being so fidgety, she corrected, You have nothing to be ashamed of, Rhys. Especially not your wings.

I didn't answer, just continued making tense small talk with Kallias. Mor and Viviane were over in the corner gossiping and laughing loudly.

He wanted us to be ashamed of them, that's why he always made us hide them. Leur didn't let it go, just pushed harder, Be proud of them, for Mom.

Trust my sister to be the one to push until she got to the very bottom of everything.

Still, my back straightened a bit and I let them spread a little wider at her words.

Feyre was at my left, seated in the room we had set up here. We ended up choosing one of the more open meeting rooms, no windows- only white sheer curtains flowing with an afternoon breeze. Groups of chairs sat in a large circle on the marble floors, with Feyre and I waiting by the door to greet the incoming groups. So far, Kallias, Thesan, and Helion had arrived. Kallias had brought Vivaine and a few other soldiers, Thesan had an entire entourage of his winged soldiers, the Peregrens. Helion, of course, had come alone but most likely wouldn't leave that way. The scent of the sea drifting down the hall told me that Tarquin and his group had also arrived.

I took a sidelong glance at where Azriel stood in the shadow of the room. I clenched my jaw as I looked at my youngest brother, now a member of my royal family. If only these assholes were trustworthy enough, he could be standing with Leur next to Feyre and I, where he was meant to be.