38: Budding Flowers

Leur

500 years ago, 1 month before the lie

There wasn't enough wine in the world to make this party enjoyable.

Not that I could even drink the wine, had there been enough.

The Spring Court had completely lost its beauty in my eyes. Before the war, I was entranced by the flowers, the softness of it all. Beautiful rose gardens, elegant willow trees, sunshine and friendship. Now, I looked around and all I saw was death. I saw destruction, bloodstained flowers and roses up in flame. And they had rebuilt quickly, no sign of anything lingering here aside from in my memories. How fitting that I was sitting here in the Spring Court, new life and birth eternal, thinking of death and blood.

"You could at least attempt to look entertained." Tamlin appeared at my side, handing me the glass of water I had requested.

"I should, lest your father come back over and introduce me to more friends of his." I answered, taking a sip of water. The sun had dwindled away, leaving only the cool, crisp air of night. I tried not to look at the stars here, it always disappointed me. It filled me with a sense of dread, knowing I'd soon be ripped from my home and forced to live here, in this court, where the stars were so dim and dull, the moon a lifeless rock in the sky.

Florian, Tamlin's father, had taken this night as an opportunity to enchant me with the ways of the Spring Court. He introduced me to most of his generals, other noblemen attending the party, anyone he could think of. He talked my ear off about the wine, the culture, the music, the territories. No mind to the fact that I had met most of these people before, or that I had attended years worth of Spring Court parties and festivities. My father believed it was essential for me to be engrained in their ways if I was going to be a bride of Spring.

They despised one another, my father and Florian. My father hated his pompous arrogance, and Florian hated my father's power. And I was their pawn in this delicate game they played.

"He is trying to butter you up." Tamlin sighed, dark brown liquor draining from his glass far too quickly, "I think they are going to announce our engagement at Winter Solstice."

Which meant I would not spend Solstice with my family, I'd be here. No snow, no warmth, just never ending spring. That is, if I made it that long.

"Might as well get it over with." I sighed, my fingertips digging into the soft fabric of my soft purple gown. My mother had made it for me, and it was beautiful. Adorned with violets and irises made out of delicate silk, carefully sewn with her skilled hands. She had always made me such beautiful gowns, even the ones for my events here at the Spring Court were breathtaking.

"We should be seen dancing together." Tamlin ignored my comment, raising from his seat to outstretch a hand towards me. I took it, finding some kind of solace in his touch.

A soft melody drifted through the ballroom, simple and sweet. It was a waltz, romantic and slow, like the sensual touch of a lover. His hand was wrapped around my waist, my hand on his broad shoulder, our other hands grasped in each other as our feet moved in practiced perfection. It was exactly what it always was. No rush of emotion, no fire lit by his touch. He was known to me, and I was known to him. Comfortable, in the kind of way that felt like a prison sentence and not intimacy.

And my life would be so much easier if we could just love each other that way.

My eyes rose to his blonde hair, just a little longer than it usually was, shining in the golden faelight of the chandelier above us. Bright green eyes, strong jaw, soft pink lips on his pale skin. He was handsome, always had been. Handsome enough that I was attracted to him, my friend, my confidant. He had crawled through the depths of hell alongside me without a second thought, and my wretched heart could not find it in itself to love him the way I needed to.