27: Bound by Blood

Leur

Wrapped in near invisible shadow, I found Mor sitting at the table of the townhouse, a sandwich in hand, talking to Feyre.

I wanted to speak to her, after everything that had happened the day before. I wanted to make sure she was okay and spend some time alone with her. But also, I needed to make an appearance before anyone could wonder where Azriel was. My mate had not questioned me when I told him we needed to know everything we could about the King's ravens. He had left to command his spies as soon as we finished our flight lesson with Feyre. I found myself on edge, looking over my shoulder, waiting for those familiar faces to arise from the darkness. Her family may not realize it yet, but Elain had definitely been gifted with sight.

I supposed that gifted may not be the right word. Most seers I knew referred to it as a curse, if they hadn't already descended into madness.

Hopefully, we could find a way to prevent Elain from being swallowed by her visions. Perhaps if she learned how to control the power, it could be curbed. When I found a moment, I'd send out word in Solarea for anyone who could help. But for now, there were bigger things at hand. First of all, we needed to know where and when the ravens would be here. I supposed I could tell Rhys what I suspected, but he had enough on his plate. I'd hunt those two assholes down and slaughter them before they got within a hundred miles of our borders, consider it my first act as secondary spymaster. After what they had done to our mother, to me, they were mine to kill.

Perhaps that was why I didn't want Rhys to know. I didn't want him hunting them down before I could get my hands on them.

I also did not want him to know the horrors they had committed, why I needed to see them wither and die at my hands.

Also, I needed to make sure Mor was alright. One word from her, and I'd end this bargain with Eris. Let Rhys hate me for it, but a bargain with Beron was better than entertaining that asshole. Another word from her, and I would get rid of Keir for good.

I didn't understand why Rhys had let him live, why the Court of Nightmares even existed beyond a front for the other courts. Then again, this was why Rhys was cut out to be High Lord and I was not. I had no patience for politics, not the delicate mind games we played in Prythian at least. I had spent years of my life watching our father play the game, being in on his schemes. Rhys had watched him and learned how to play, and I had rolled my eyes and wondered why we didn't just cut the bullshit. My intolerance for the game was exactly why I had never wanted the throne, never been jealous of Rhys for being in line to take it. Dealing with the misogynistic, unruly Illyrians, dealing with the small-minded pricks in the Court of Nightmares- I was more than happy to let him have it.

Mor seemed happy, only slightly in the fake way she acted when she was hiding something. I bound into the house, finding Feyre having stolen her sandwich. They greeted me as I walked in, and all I gave in reply was a lean over the High Lady's shoulder and a stolen bite out of the sandwich.

"I should have bought three of them, with you two thieves around." Mor huffed, glaring at me as I chewed.

I waved a hand in reply, and three more sandwiches appeared on the table. She rolled her eyes as Feyre thanked me.

"Where did you go last night?" My sister asked, her tattooed hand picking the onions off.

I shrugged nonchalantly, "Lunet gets fussy when we leave her alone for too long."

An unbelieving look from her but I paid it no mind. Let her assume that I was simply avoiding speaking about what had happened. Mor spoke up, a finger over her lips as she spoke, "You know, I never would have pegged Azriel as a cat person."