52: The Meeting Part II

Azriel

He got away. Leur's voice drifted through shadows as I felt her reappear around me.

From you? I questioned incredulously.

I faltered my control for one second in order to make him winnow, and by the time I got it back he forced me out. She answered, He was running and across the border before I had a chance to winnow. I'm not stupid enough to leave the court right now. Odds are, Hybern is out there just waiting for him to lead me out.

Good. I answered her, Did you alert the border guards not to let him past again?

They might have gotten an idea in their minds about it. She answered, and I could practically hear the smirk in her voice.

"If any of you would like proof that I am not scheming with Hybern, please take into consideration that it would be far less time-consuming to slice into your minds and make you do my bidding." Rhysand said cooly in the aftermath of Tamlin's departure.

I think that would be a much better plan than dealing with this bullshit. Leur scoffed.

I agree. I answered, fighting back the urge to smile.

Trust Leur to make this hellish meeting fun.

Tarquin's eyes slid to Rhys, all the strength of the sea in them as he stared at my brother, "Despite Varian's unsanctioned warning, you were the only ones who came to help. And yet, you asked for nothing in return. Why?"

Feyre's face went soft, that same emotion echoed in her mate's eyes as he answered, "Isn't that what friends do?"

A moment of silence, not tense but pensive as the High Lord of Summer surveyed Rhys and Feyre, "I rescind the blood rubies. Let there be no debts between us."

"Don't expect Amren to return hers." Cassian muttered, "She has grown attached to it."

A soft smile tugged on the edges of Varian's mouth.

Amren is with the Summer Court Prince? Leur asked, probably picking up on the same things I was.

He'll have to join the club. I shot back.

A moment of confused silence in her melody, What club?

The males who are in love with terrifying females club. I smirked.

I could practically feel her match my energy, heard the shift in her song to match the teasing, flirting tone of my own, Oh, and how do you know about this club?

Are you kidding? I scoffed, I invented it.

An echo of melodic laughter, Go to hell.

It was getting lonely with just Cass and I. I looked over to where our brother was sitting, perfectly positioned as a wall between his mate and the rest of the group.

Leur's voice was swift to reply, Cassian and Nesta aren't together.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes, Yet.

Busybody. She accused, a smile in her voice.

"Do tell, where is my errant son?" Beron interrupted the conversation Rhys had been leading about war preparations.

"Helping to guard our city." The lie flowed gracefully from Feyre's mouth.

I can't believe after all this time, Beron still believes Lucien is his son. Leur scoffed through the shadows.