22: Bones

Leur

Azriel had wholly and entirely refused to let me go into the Prison without him. Rhys had been sympathetic, but essentially commanded him to go to the Autumn court this morning. I felt bad, seeing the wired look in my mate's eye at the thought of me being unreachable, at the silence that would envelop our bond. I could feel the way it was eating him up inside, and no amount of reassurances or promises from me would ease him until I was out of that place. But Rhys was right, this wasn't entirely about this specific situation, but Azriel'd ability to concentrate if separated from me. I had asked my brother for a position as his secondary spymaster, just unofficially until the war was over. Azriel and I worked best as a team, and he'd be less distracted if I was there. Rhys had said he planned on having Azriel and I share the spymaster duties, but that today was a test trial for my mate.

So, the five of us stood at the base of the mountain, staring up at the sharp rocks jutting out of the cold mist. I hated it here, almost as much as I hated it in Hybern. It was always cold and foggy, and I could hear the ground beneath us listening for anything it could use against us. I could feel the whispers of what had been here so long ago, begging to be freed. My leathers only did so much to stave off the cold as the wind drifted through my hair, and Azriel pressed himself closer to my back at the shiver that went through me.

"When you're in there, you won't be able to reach me." Rhys' words were barely audible over the howling wind. He had decided not to join, not with so many of the Inner Circle all in one place. With Hybern looming over us, it was better for at least half of us be free to defend the territory at any given moment. Just because the King had promised a ceasefire from his forces, didn't mean he did not have allies that could attack here.

Feyre rubbed her hands together as she spoke, "Why?"

"Wards and spells that predate us all." My brother answered, eyes trained on Cassian. His voice was raw command, eyes hard and unflinching, "Do not let them out of your sight."

Indeed, it was a testament of how much he trusted our brother if he was leaving his mate and sister entirely in his hands. If it was anyone but Cassian, he would be going in with Feyre and I. I saw the dead seriousness in his eye with which he spoke.

"Please." I rolled my eyes, motioning to Cassian, "Feyre and I will be the ones guarding this big baby."

Cassian gave me a glare over his shoulder, his crossed Illyrian blades the twin to mine at my back.

"I'm not joking, Leuruna." Rhys' voice was hard.

I leveled my stare at him, I know you aren't, but lighten up before you send Az to an early grave.

It was true that my mate was still as a statue at my back, arms like steel bands wrapped around me. I could feel the instincts wrapped around him in a vice grip, the love and protection pouring down that bond.
"Go back to Velaris, Mother Hen." Feyre nudged my brother away from her before looking at Az, "You both have work to do."

Even at the command from the High Lady, he hesitated. I pulled that whisp of black shadow tight around my hand, whispering to it that I'd be safe. His arms loosened, and I stepped out of his grip to stand next to Cassian. I weaved my finger's with my brother's as I glanced back at my mate.

I am not alone.

I can do this.

I love you.

Go.

He nodded to Rhys, voice tight as he whispered, I love you too, be safe. And then they were gone. I gave Cass's hand a squeeze before letting go, eyes flicking to Feyre. I took the first step up the hill.