Chapter 1

According to Roman mythology Aurora was the goddess of sunrise- an unbelievably striking woman with powers that could conjure sunrise

I believed it was this exact moment that my parents realized that they shouldn't have believed the Romans.

As they watched the sweaty mess they had named Aurora jump around they probably regretted all of  their decisions that had lead up to this moment.
At least that is what it looked like from down here on the training yard.

It was only one quick glance I could send their way before I had to return my focus to my opponent to survive this brutal and ferocious fight.

I kept kicking while simultaneously wielding my knifes as I didn't want to fall short in any of those departments. Every part of my opponent was attacked while I wished it had been my sister's face.

I glared into the face of the straw dummy that was exposed to my torture. It would probably fall apart in another few minutes with all of the anger it received. If not from my knifes that kept slicing the straw in two it would bow down under my deathly glare.

I wished I could gift that glare to my sister herself but I knew as a thank you I would only receive fried hair and burned skin. And I couldn't even do anything about it.
It was frustrating that I didn't have any powers.
Especially in these moments I hated the gods for that but they weren't as generous as my sister with her 'amazing' presents.

Even after all of my prayers I had never received any powers that I could use to shield myself.

Neither my body nor my mind were protected from my sister's and parent's assault. It was more so my sister who tended to raise her powers against me than my parents but by doing nothing to protect me I knew that they didn't love me as much as her.

So all I ever did was train my physical body. I practiced my swordsmanship with a sword I shouldn't even own.
Years ago, after having a dream that still left me in despair I had woken up in my bed with this sword in my hands.

I hadn't even shown it to my parents at first because I had been scared that they would take it away from me.
And if I didn't have a sword I wouldn't be able to train swordsmanship.

A few months after mysteriously obtaining the sword my mother had barged into my room and saw me wildly swinging the blade through the air.
She had tried to take it away from me but I resisted so badly that she had just given up.
From that point on I had trained to exhaustion.

If I ever were in a situation like my dream again, I'd be strong.

I hadn't been able to get a teacher but frankly I preferred practicing on my own. Getting a feeling for the sword and just trying out what I thought would destroy the dummy the quickest.

In that moment I had decided to go for the knifes though as my anger had been too immense after what my parents had just told me and the close proximity to my opponent was giving me a release and satisfaction.

Every supernatural who wanted to achieve something in life had to complete some sort of education or training for their powers so the protection of our state was secured. Not only from overly powerful and temperamental supernaturals but also from our enemies.

They were snarky little creatures called 'the ghostly' with more magic in their little finger than I had in my whole body. Their body was a liquid blob of shadow so they could really take on any shape at night. That's why they were also called nightcreatures.

There were multiple kinds of supernaturals. I was a witch but besides 'the ghostly' there were also dragons, werewolves, vampires and other kinds.

After visiting one of the academies we were allowed to fulfill important jobs in society. You could be an official of the government, join the special forces -which is the military that protects our nation- and all of the other jobs that actually meant something.

The only problem was that even though I had trained my whole life in order to be able to join the special forces later on  -I didn't even dream of getting into a leadership position of any kind- I wouldn't be able to.

I was going to enter the academy as a maid.
While my sister Maeve would be able to train her magic that was unfortunately worlds better than my own I was forced to tend to nasty little girls that probably resembled those creatures in more ways than their personalities.

It was heartbreaking that I would have to watch everyone have the times of their lives while my dreams were going down the drain.
I was never going to make it into the special forces without intensive training and passing all of the tests to get an approval.

Just like expected the dummy was torn into shreds a few minutes later and I decided to return to the room my parents had given me when I was nine.

It was way smaller than the room I had stayed in before that but that one had been given to my sister as a study.
My parents had stopped at nothing to prepare her for what was going to happen now. The priciest teachers, the most expensive tools...

I guess in a sense I'd also been prepared by having to move into this small spare room and fulfill most of the household chores.  

After a quick shower I fell into my bed.
Not going to lie, the mattress was so hard it almost hurt but that wasn't going to stop me from falling asleep instantly.

I guess that was my special ability.