Chapter 2

Early in the morning I woke up to pack my bags so I could be ready to go by sunrise

Fortunately, food had been packed by some of the maids in the coven's estate so I didn't have to do that as well.

I put on a simple linen dress that had slits on each side over some see through tides so I could easily ride later.
My dark wavy hair was put into a particularly tight braid at my nape to keep it out of my face while riding.

Punctually at 8am I was sitting next to my horse at the exit in the garden. While I was sitting in the grass -ripping some of it out just to tear it into even smaller pieces- I was enjoying my last moments of freedom.

At least here in the mansion I hadn't officially been a maid.
I knew that my aversion to being a maid was hypocritical as I myself required the help of maids at times. Yet I just couldn't accept the fact that I was going to lose all of the freedom I cherished.

For years almost everything I had done I had done by myself so I had been able to follow my own will and opinions. Even the thought of constantly having to share my time with other people made me feel tired and numb.
I wasn't used to that life but I knew I would have to adjust.

As I waited I tried to enjoy the warm sun rays of the dawn instead of thinking about the future or that my sister Maeve was almost an hour late by now.
It hadn't even been me who had decided to meet at 8 but my parents.

Not only I was waiting but all of our other staff as well.
Because my parents occupied high positions in the coven through their magical abilities a lot of staff was necessary to show Maeve's status when arriving. Nobody was supposed to think that she was an ordinary person.

That was obvious from the amount of staff present at the moment.

Even though not all of them were going to come with us and some were just here to say their goodbyes I recon that at least ten of them were going to follow us. Students weren't allowed to bring their own guards and maids so all of them were going to return to the coven after delivering us safely.

Only I was going to stay but luckily I wouldn't have to attend to my sister.
She was going to join the actual training program at our parent's cost while I had to work as a maid without any financial support. The payment I was going to receive would barely cover my living expenses.
Never in a lifetime would I be able to enter the school as a student with my salary.

Finally after an eternity in which I had almost fallen back asleep I heard a commotion.
Then I saw my sister and parents come around the edge of the mansion and finally FINALLY arrive at the meeting spot.
It didn't even hurt me anymore that they'd spent all of this time with my sister while I wasn't even worth saying goodbye to.

"So are we leaving now" I asked in an annoyed tone. I received a glare by my sister and was fully ignored by our parents. Great.

"Mother, father, I'm going to miss you so much" Maeve said in a trembling voice. I swear I even saw a tear roll but that must have been a hallucination from my tiredness.