Chapter 5

In the morning I was woken up by the sunlight

In the morning I was woken up by the sunlight. I hadn't even realized that we didn't have any covers for the windows and had just expected that we'd be woken up by someone or an alarm.

"Aurora, are you awake?" I heard Daisy ask. Her voice was raspy and as I looked up from my pillow her blond hair was all over her face.

"Yeah, sure. I just woke up. Do you think we're supposed to get started now?" I asked. Lady Thatchers instructions had been close to none existent so I didn't know when and where to start.

"I believe so. But I'm really hungry." she said sadly while getting a comb from her bag and brushing her hair. She tugged on it a few times as the nots wouldn't go away fast enough.

"Im surprised you still have hair left on your head" I chuckled while sitting up on the bed.
Luckily I had put my hair into a braid before going to sleep or I would have had to spend hours on untangling my hair. Because Daisy's hair was only a little longer than shoulder length she was done after a couple of minutes. It still pointed into all directions like a little halo from the harsh brushing but that would lie down in a few minutes.

I pulled two of the uniforms out of the wardrobe that I had found yesterday while unpacking.
One of them I threw over to Daisy so she didn't have to get up.
"Thanks" she yelled while removing her Pyjama.

It felt weird to just change in front of an almost stranger but I'd have to get used to having no privacy. The fact that the washrooms were also shared was way worse and made me want to never shower again.

The uniform consisted of a stiff gray dress and a white apron that I tied around my waist.
Because it was one size I looked like a drowned child in it. Luckily the skirt wasn't at an awkward length but just barely reached the ground. I could only imagine that what it would look like on a tall person. 

When I took a look into the mirror on the wardrobe door I realized that the only good thing about my appearance was my long dark hair which's waves were enhanced by the braid.

But I'd have to put it up if I didn't want to leave long strands everywhere. I bet lady Thatcher would cut it off at the first chance out of envy because she only had a short streaky bob.

I braided my hair around the crown of my head to keep it secured.
Great now I looked like a nun.

Because Daisy was a little shorter than me the dress was hanging onto the ground. We decided that she'd need to have it tailored so she wouldn't trip. Her blond hair was tied in a small bun from which a couple of strands in the front escaped.

"You good to go?" I asked her.
"Yes sure, I'm famished though" she said while pulling me through the door. Outside we saw other women rushing around. Everyone was trying to leave through the door of the woman's dorms so the hallway was busy.
I tried to pull Daisy and myself through the crowd without bumping into anyone and then we stood outside of the dorms.