Chapter 6

Billy approached Bright with an unusual request: to join the girls' team for training since most of them were seniors. Initially hesitant, Bright eventually agreed, partly motivated by the desire to embarrass Becky.

I hadn't expected this from Bright. If he won, people might attribute it to them being older, but if Becky's team won, it could tarnish his reputation. It wasn't a win-win situation. I had only suggested watching them together because I didn't think Bright would accept the challenge. I worried about my brother; what if Becky won? It could dent his reputation. Imagine being defeated by a freshman?

As the game commenced, students with free time gathered to watch, cheering for Bright as usual. Becky had garnered quite a few haters, especially among the girls. I understood why.

"Aren't you going to cheer for your brother?" Billy asked, taking a seat beside me. "He seems to be enjoying the game."

"Sure, he's dominating over Becky," I replied, rolling my eyes and taking a sip of water. "But this game is pointless. I thought you were joking about making it happen."

"But look, everyone's watching. This might encourage more people to attend future events and support them," Billy said with a mischievous grin, ruffling my hair, earning him a glare from me.

As the first half came to a close, Bright approached me. I handed him a bottle of water, and to my surprise, Becky ran over to us too. She looked at me, took the bottle I had just sipped from, drank from it, smiled, and handed it back before returning to the field.

"That girl loves to get under my skin," Bright remarked, closing the lid of his water bottle. "Is she bothering you?"

"No," I replied. "Just focus on the game. I can handle myself."

Bright nodded before returning to the field. I sighed and glanced at my phone. I wasn't a fan of sports; singing and writing interested me more.

"Hey," Billy nudged me. "Why are you so absorbed in your phone? Becky's not performing well because you're not watching."

"I couldn't care less," I retorted, continuing to scroll.

"She's starved for attention. Do you know what that means?" Billy persisted.

"I've told you, I'm not interested in her. Spare me the details," I replied.

"She craves the attention of those she likes and will go to great lengths to get it, including pestering you," Billy said, leaning his head on my shoulder, prompting me to push him away.

I didn't appreciate people glaring at me because of my closeness to Billy. Besides, if Billy had enough of those rumors, he might start avoiding me, and I didn't want that.

"Speaking of which," Billy began, but I ignored him. I had no interest in watching.

Suddenly, a hand gently lifted my chin, forcing me to meet Becky's gaze. She looked sad and concerned. What was going on with her?

I glanced at the score; Bright's team was winning. All eyes were now on Becky. She held my chin, urging me to focus on her.

"Please, focus on me. I can win this," she said softly, almost seductively. "Just on me." With that, she turned and returned to the field.

I was taken aback. Did she just...? What the hell? I turned to Billy, who was turning red with laughter. Unable to contain himself, he laughed until I punched him on the shoulder, shooting him a glare.

"I told you. She'll do anything for your attention," Billy managed to say between laughs, clutching his stomach. "Just watch her, Miss President, or you'll regret it."

Ignoring Billy's words, I stood up and left the field, heading back to my office. I didn't want to waste my time there. I knew Bright would win, and that was enough for me.

"Miss President!" Nam called after me, concern etched on her face. She looked around before pulling me into the office. I furrowed my brows, curious about her urgency.

"The President wants to see you. He was watching the game and saw what Becky did to you. I don't know if that's a good sign or not, but he wants to speak with you," Nam explained, her concern evident.

"I can handle this, Nam," I assured her, making my way to the President's office, which wasn't far. It took me only minutes to arrive, and students passing by whispered to each other. They must have witnessed Becky's antics too. Damn that girl.

After a few knocks, the President allowed me to enter. He sat behind his desk, his expression unreadable. There was a folder in front of me, signaling that he had a task for me.

"Please, take a seat," his cold voice sent a shiver down my spine as I quickly complied. "I have a task for you." He motioned for me to open the folder, revealing its contents.

He was asking me to step down as Student Council President temporarily. He wanted me to tutor Becky, and once she passed, he would reinstate me. Furrowing my brows, I looked up at him.

I had worked hard for this position. Unlike some, I hadn't obtained it easily. "I'm sorry, sir, but I find this unfair. Beacon Heights University promotes fairness and inclusivity, yet you're asking me to step down to teach someone who doesn't put in the effort for her studies?" I challenged.

"Becky needs help, Ms. Chankimha. She's willing to offer a generous sum in return. I'm asking you to step down temporarily to focus on her. If you succeed, you'll be reinstated as president," he explained, clasping his hands together.

"And if I fail?" I inquired.

"You'll lose your position and your scholarship," he replied, his expression serious. This was going too far. They were trying to control me, and it wasn't right. "Consider the offer, Ms. Chankimha. You have nothing to lose if you fulfill your duties properly."

"Do I have another choice?" I asked, feeling trapped.

The President sighed, contemplating for a moment. "I'm afraid not."

I stood up and signed the document. I couldn't bring more trouble to my family. If only our paths hadn't crossed. I wouldn't be in this predicament. It was all her fault.